• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

UK most unpopular for Macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 2GB Ram, 120GB HDD
I'm from London, United Kingdom. I currently go to school and theres one thing i've noticed that last few months.

Macs are very very rare in the United Kingdom. I've NEVER seen a Mac PC in a store, they all use Windows. None of my friends have Mac and none of the ICT teachers have a Mac.

It seems that its hard to come by a Mac.

I looked into Macs about 6 months ago, but i wasn't convinced to get one because of the ''Mac users are full of themselves'' comment.

Although, 1 month ago, i bought a Macbook (white, 1.83 Core 2). I'm pleasantly surprised by it. I think its a lot better then Windows. However, using Windows since i started using computers, its been hard to come to terms with using a Mac every day instead of a PC. I still have a PC in my bedroom which i use on the odd ocasion as i don't like using my Mac for boring stuff like spreadsheets. Thats mainly because its a laptop and laptops suck and doing boring school work.

It just seems even on TV, NO Uk adverts/shows have Macs in them, but looking at American shows and adverts, a lot of people have Macs.

Are British people that boring that noone has a Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"
That's strange, I always thought they were more popular there than they are here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I've actually been noticing a trend of an increasing number of Macs wherever I go. Just the other day I was looking around a cafe I was sitting at and saw that 4 out 5 laptops were Macs. I walked around a bit and I just kept seeing Macs. I still see more Windows laptops in classrooms because the kids had bought them 2-3 years ago. But I'm sure once I get to graduate school, the number of Macs will be much higher.

I'm surprised you don't see more Macs in the UK. I figured it would fit into the popular culture there very well.

OP
Hustle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My school has 2 old Macintosh computer. I think its the G3's. 2 Macs compared to 836 Windows PC's/laptops.
Yes, London has Apple stores, however, people mainly go there to buy iPods. iPods are HUGE in London, just Mac computers, Arnt!

I start college in September and i'm doing a Btec ICT course. I'm hoping we're going to be aloud to take our laptops to school and i hope i see more Macs. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
They have Macs in my local PC World, and I live in the middle of nowhere. Having said that I'm the only Mac owner I know.

OP
Hustle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, they have a few Macs in my local PC world, only on display though. I'm also the only Mac user i know of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
I live in the UK and I don't know anyone with a mac. I also have not seen anyone use one other than when I visited an Apple store in Birmingham and London (actually I have seen the media guys at Tottenham Hotspur Football Club use them but that's it).

I do agree with you that a lot of US TV shows, adverts and films use macs whereas over here our media uses more generic products.

I also think its hard to find places that sell macs, I have only come across very small selections (i.e. 2 Macbooks and 1 iMac) in shops like PC World and Toys'r'us.

kmw

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2GHz 1 GB 13", Ipod mini.
I know what you mean, we are now a 2 mac house, my husband has his I mac and I have just got my Mac book. I loved playing on the I mac which is the reason I got my own I think He was fed up of never getting on it. lol

I don't know anyone other than us who has one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in Mac-Book, 24in imac, 15in G4 iMac, 12in PowerBook, G3 iMac, G3 PPC, G3 iBook, and a 'Newton'
I'm from London, United Kingdom. I currently go to school and theres one thing i've noticed that last few months.

Macs are very very rare in the United Kingdom. I've NEVER seen a Mac PC in a store, they all use Windows. None of my friends have Mac and none of the ICT teachers have a Mac.

I looked into Macs about 6 months ago, but i wasn't convinced to get one because of the ''Mac users are full of themselves'' comment.

Although, 1 month ago, i bought a Macbook (white, 1.83 Core 2). I'm pleasantly surprised by it. I think its a lot better then Windows. However, using Windows since i started using computers, its been hard to come to terms with using a Mac every day instead of a PC. I still have a PC in my bedroom which i use on the odd ocasion as i don't like using my Mac for boring stuff like spreadsheets. Thats mainly because its a laptop and laptops suck and doing boring school work.

It just seems even on TV, NO Uk adverts/shows have Macs in them, but looking at American shows and adverts, a lot of people have Macs.

Are British people that boring that noone has a Mac?

Now don't you just love a young bloke that tells the truth now and again...{ ''Mac users are full of themselves''} and I think he is right on the money in some cases.
Yes we are a funny breed inside the Apple:flower:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM

I think this is not a UK-thing, but rather a outside-US-thing. In Europe in general, you will find that Macs are far from as common as in the US.

I would not really agree though, that there are no stores where you can buy a Mac in London. The Apple-store in Regent street is the biggest in the world and they really do not only sell iPods you know. You can also buy Macs in several other stores (even PCWorld!!) around London and Apple currently is having a huge advertising campaign which you see on billboards everywhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
I have seen a couple of macs in PC world.
However, a pc is industry standard. How often would you see a webdesigner without dreamweaver or a photographer without CS2.
Macs have never been the most common computer choice, mainly because of the excessive price tag, the macbook starts at £750 and i know you can pick up a half decent laptop for £350 and a pretty nice medion for £400 at woolworthes.

The amont of macs I see around is increasing!
But at the end of the day... more people using them, more of a reason to create a virus.
And sometimes its nice to be a minority, I'm pretty sure thats one of the reason why the ZEN sells so well and other make mp3 players as people dont want to be like sheep.

ALso the mac advertisement is bigger than ever at the moment, even in the cinema's its being played.

Im still debating if i should upgrade to vista, as I dont use a pc anymore and xp still furfills my needs.

Reaction score
This is fascinating - doesn't Apple break down their sales by country?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
PC World sells Macs.

We have Apple stores in the UK. One person at work has a Mac, my brother has a Mac.

One thing I will say is people are put off by the price here. Many people just simply don't believe in buying the premium product.

I've seen Macs on TV in the UK, it was in some crime drama.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Hi

I live in a small sleepy village on the coast. When I considered the change to a Mac earlier this year, I had to travel over 100 miles to an Apple store to see the real thing. No one I knew had a Mac so I was stuck with the internet or a long drive to help me make a decision. In the next village to me, there is a small estate agent and low and behold, while looking through their window, I noticed that on each desk there were Macs...I nearly fell over. The guy in the shop told me that there was an Apple retailer only NINE miles away....which is where I ended up buying my iMac. Since then, I have seen loads out and about. I am surprised just how many there are. On the new Stephen Fry show "Kingdom" there are more Macs than you can shake a stick at. When I told people I was considering a Mac their reaction was like cold air passing through a bad filling, but that's their hard luck. I think more and more people are looking at Macs, certainly everyone who has seen mine has been impressed - which is good.
After saying all this, I have never seen ANY of the Mac adds on TV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in Mac-Book, 24in imac, 15in G4 iMac, 12in PowerBook, G3 iMac, G3 PPC, G3 iBook, and a 'Newton'
Hi

I live in a small sleepy village on the coast. When I considered the change to a Mac earlier this year, I had to travel over 100 miles to an Apple store to see the real thing. No one I knew had a Mac so I was stuck with the internet or a long drive to help me make a decision. In the next village to me, there is a small estate agent and low and behold, while looking through their window, I noticed that on each desk there were Macs...I nearly fell over. The guy in the shop told me that there was an Apple retailer only NINE miles away....which is where I ended up buying my iMac. Since then, I have seen loads out and about. I am surprised just how many there are. On the new Stephen Fry show "Kingdom" there are more Macs than you can shake a stick at. When I told people I was considering a Mac their reaction was like cold air passing through a bad filling, but that's their hard luck. I think more and more people are looking at Macs, certainly everyone who has seen mine has been impressed - which is good.
After saying all this, I have never seen ANY of the Mac adds on TV.

Stephen Fry is the Champion of Mac's in the UK:miner:

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
Oh and don't forget the other London (ish) Mac store, Bluewater. This where I brought my two Macs from.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Think Mac's like Linux are still pretty rare everywhere.
I've tinkered with Linux since '95 and just bought first couple of Mac's in December. Have yet to meet, in person, anyone else that knew anything about either one. Mac's have one advantage in that most have at least heard of Apple. And outside the couple of tech support jobs I've had, don't remember having met anyone where Linux came up that didn't respond with "What's Linux?".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I don't think Mac-ownership in the UK is as high as it is in the US. BUT I do think things are changing. I see Macs in a few shops now (PC World & John Lewis to name a couple (I think they've been available at most PC World stores for a while now)) My univeristy had a great Mac Lab, and there were a few more dotted around the rest of the campus as well - and I understand another campus of the uni (The art faculty) had quite a few more Macs.

Go to somewhere like the Watershed (bar/art house/cinema) in Bristol and you'll spot a few people with MacBooks, MacBook Pros', Ibooks etc and the bar provides a few Mac desktops as well.

However, of the people I know personally - there is only one that has a Mac Mini - So far I've been unable to convert people from Windows or Linux - but I'm trying ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
The problem with Mac ownership in the UK, is the fact that from the ages of 4-18 Years in National Education people don't see Mac's, let alone get taught how to use them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.