separate windows open in osx, one for reference one for input

Reaction score
I have some entries in the Apple Notes program that I want to transcribe into an Excel Spreadsheet. When I have them both open side by side, as soon as I click in the spreadsheet the notes window disappears. Is there a way that I can keep the Notes window open while I am transcribing entries from it into the spreadsheet? I'm using a macbook air but I have encountered the same problem on my imac. I know I can cut and paste but having both windows open while the spreadsheet window is active is much more convenient.

Thanks in advance for your help

iMac is operating with OS X 10.7.5
mba is operating with OS X 10.8.4

microsoft excel for mac, notes application native to apple os

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you genuinely have both apps open side by side one won't disappear.

I'd suggest you're running excel full screen and only resizing the worksheet. So when you select excel it's coming to the foreground in front of notes

OP
N
Reaction score
thanks for your help, it was right on point, easy to understand and courteous. Much appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Glad it helped

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If you genuinely have both apps open side by side one won't disappear.

I'd suggest you're running excel full screen and only resizing the worksheet. So when you select excel it's coming to the foreground in front of notes

On this, it would be good in the contextual menu in the Dock of ANY App, that we had a option to keep it at the front of all windows. Just for things like this, because im sick sometimes of having to resize certain windows to do exactly what the OP is doing, but with different Apps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.