• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Please Help. Is a Canon T3i Rebel Capable of Doing this?

Reaction score
not sure why my previous thread was deleted but anyway

anybody have a guess as to what kind of camera/lens can produce a video like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YozLTf5J0M&

canon t3i rebel maybe?

someone else told me they think its a canon 7d due to the "depth of field" however isnt the canon t3i also capable of this depth of field?

for example this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IFjBAYnQsk&feature=plcp says he uses a canon t3i rebel, and other than the poor lighting and the unblurred background the video quality looks relatively comparable to the first link i posted?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
There is absolutely zero special about this video or the way it is rendered. Neither the 7D or t3i are FX sensor cameras, and so you shouldn't be comparing them in this way. The ONLY difference you'll be able to measure is one that is produced by the lenses you put on either of them.

You want nice out of focus backgrounds? Get a nice tele lens like an 85 1.4 or 105 2.8 etc. That's all you'll need. A 75-200 2.8 will also do but is overkill.

Doug

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That's what I thought, but since I'm no camera guy, figured I leave it to you photogs.

Of course, if the op is just looking for a reason to lay out the cash for the t3i...

Do it man, you'll like it. :)

OP
M
Reaction score
There is absolutely zero special about this video or the way it is rendered. Neither the 7D or t3i are FX sensor cameras, and so you shouldn't be comparing them in this way. The ONLY difference you'll be able to measure is one that is produced by the lenses you put on either of them.

You want nice out of focus backgrounds? Get a nice tele lens like an 85 1.4 or 105 2.8 etc. That's all you'll need. A 75-200 2.8 will also do but is overkill.

Doug

how about a 18-55 mm lens? im also not sure what you mean by "there is zero special about this video" i didnt say anything about it is special i just feel like it is a relatively good quality vlogging type of video and i want to know what type of camera you guys think the guys used.

didnt really answer my question?

to other camera pros reading

on amazon the body alone sells for 600 whereas the body+18-55mm lens is 650.

if im primarily going to be using this cam for vlogging should i just buy the body alone with something like a 1.4-2 lens?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
how about a 18-55 mm lens? im also not sure what you mean by "there is zero special about this video" i didnt say anything about it is special i just feel like it is a relatively good quality vlogging type of video and i want to know what type of camera you guys think the guys used.

didnt really answer my question?

to other camera pros reading

on amazon the body alone sells for 600 whereas the body+18-55mm lens is 650.

if im primarily going to be using this cam for vlogging should i just buy the body alone with something like a 1.4-2 lens?

Doug actually did answer your question. You need a lens with a long focal length and or a large aperture of 1.2-2.8.

OP
M
Reaction score

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
the amazon bundle i purchased comes with a 18-55mm lens which is 50 bucks more than the body alone

should i have just bought the body alone and another lens (Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens Amazon.com: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens: CANON: Camera & Photo)
if i am trying to replicate the results of the first video i posted?

You could always send Jack a message and ask him? If you really want to replicate the results.

I don't think you are going to get the same results with a 50mm. You need something a little longer like an 85 or 100mm like Doug suggested.

A 70-200mm will pretty much make it really simple but those are pretty expensive. I just ordered a 70-200mm F/2.8 L II today 2K+ for that glass.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I said it's nothing special because it's not. I don't see the "depth of field" being all that great, either. It kind of looks like they're using a 50mm lens, but I could be wrong. You have to understand the relation between the distance from the subject and the throw of the focal length on the lens.

Again, the camera body does NOT MATTER. It's all in the lenses where you'll get the DOF you're looking for. You want subject isolation and blurred backgrounds? You'll need a long focal length. A zoom is fine, but you'll be standing further back. So take note of the space you'll be working in. Lots of things come in to play here, so do some research on a dedicated film/lens/camera forum.

A very good place to start is POTN. It's primarily a Canon forum, but some great people reside there, and are always willing to help.

Doug

Edit: BTW, the 18-55 MIGHT be fine, but the problem is that when you zoom out to the long end, you're aperture will increase to something like f5.6 or similar and you'll likely already be starting at something like f3.5. Problem there is that these apertures don't lend themselves to specific subject isolation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17in GS Macbook Pro 3.06ghz, 4gb ram, 500 hdd 7200 rpm,9400m and gt graphics
Hey MacNewbie,

I'm in a similar boat to you as needing a DSLR for filming (in addition to my camcorder) as above its all about the lens, the way its shot like lighting etc, after editing and the way your filming i.e. autofocus use or not.

The Canon your looking at is great for video as well and can easily go straight onto the mac but if your needing the autofocus to help you while filming, i have to say its slow and you can hear the lens moving so you need an external mic. (i found this the same with Nikon to)

For me i'm going down the Sony Alpha A57 or A65 (due to budget) as the autofocus is extremely quick due to the translucent mirror it uses plus very very little to no lens noise meaning no need for external mic and the video quality and photo is great, the only issue but not anything bad is the video file is AVCHD meaning you need to convert the file before putting it in FCP etc but if you change the video settings to MP4 then it works fine (the filming is slightly different but i don't see it especially after editing and put on dvd)

what i done before looking at buying was test a number of cameras in the same range take photos and film on my memory card so i can take home to edit and see the quality for my self after i done what i'm looking to do, i would suggest doing this so you get an idea of how the camera shoots and if it ticks your boxes.

also on youtube look at the video people have made with these cameras and ask what lens and after editing they use.

hope this helps

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.