is org.tcpdump.chmod_bpf.plist a part of the OS?

Reaction score
I was uninstalling private eye application and wondering whether the file "org.tcpdump.chmod_bpf.plist" is a file installed by the Private Eye application or is it a part of the operating system?

The file is found in /library/LaunchDaemons/

C

chas_m

All I can tell you is that I don't have it in mine. I'm running the latest everything.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It comes with libpcap (as you can see here). It's used for capturing tcp traffic. It's very possible that it was installed with something but I can't tell you if it was installed with your app since quite a few apps are named "Private Eye" (which one did you use?).

If you're concerned about safety or security, note that the launch daemon is trying to execute /usr/local/bin/chmod_bpf. If that binary isn't available, it will fail and nothing will happen. This is what the Apple libpcap plist file has as the program argument - yours might be different however.

OP
D
Reaction score
It comes with libpcap (as you can see here). It's used for capturing tcp traffic. It's very possible that it was installed with something but I can't tell you if it was installed with your app since quite a few apps are named "Private Eye" (which one did you use?).

If you're concerned about safety or security, note that the launch daemon is trying to execute /usr/local/bin/chmod_bpf. If that binary isn't available, it will fail and nothing will happen. This is what the Apple libpcap plist file has as the program argument - yours might be different however.

Thanks for your reply. The application I had installed was written to capture network transmission data. So, it seems then pcap thing seems to be installed by this software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.