• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I went Android with Sprint!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
And couldn't be happier. Forget the fact that:

A. The EVO 4G kicks mega-butt (it really really does. Not just saying that and I can prove it)

B. The deal we got with Sprint is mega-amazing, because it totally is.

C. We are only paying $300 for both the EVO and Blackberry Bold

What impresses me out of most all the things which are still definitely very impressive, is that :

1. Sprint's network is absolutely spectacular

2. People whom don't even use Sprint, are so quick to call them a crap company with a crap network. I laugh steadily and heartily in your faces... FOOLS! :)

Hey, I dunno. Perhaps somewhere deep down in the corn fields of Minnesota, where you might get a couple of spotty areas, this might be true... But this would also mean that Verizon's network is equally crappy since if Sprint ever roams, it's on VZN's towers (with priority given to VZN subs, of course)

But what else impresses me is that ATT's network is still an amazing piece of crud here in NYC. Over the last several weeks, I've had the opportunity to not only use a crummy little Boost Mobile phone which piggy backs Sprints towers, but have also used an ATT phone *unlocked* with an ATT go SIM, and several phones which belong to friends'. Some of whom are with VZN and some with ATT. None with Sprint.

My CRUMMY little Sanyo Boost Mobile phone has been better than all of them in terms of dropped calls (I've never dropped ONE in the couple of months I've had Boost). My friends who call me on their Blackberries and iPhones, all at some point have dropped their connection while talking to me, sound like their in a tin can, or just break up repeatedly. Mostly though.. this is ATT.

I always get a signal where my wife with her ATT phone does not, and find it almost comical. But hey.. maybe it's all just a fluke. Maybe this is a bad month for those spots, who knows. So on to it:

I said I'd prove that the EVO kicks butt so... Proof is that with Sprint, you have 30 days full money back guarantee. No ETF, no restocking fee, no nothing. Full money back if you don't like either the service or the phone, whatever. They also allow you to switch out the phones (I think up to about 3 times before they start getting suspicious.. yes, I asked several different reps about this).

So how does this prove it ? Well, simply because I have zero desire to do anything but continue to love the heck out of it! Returning it would be absolutely silly because it's such a power house and sexy beast! And I'm talking straight out of the box, too. I haven't rooted (yet) or anything. Tons of options, features, bells and whistles. But I'll get into those things, along with any negatives (I have found one thus far, which I hope there is a way to get around, but it's far from a deal breaker.. just a niggle) at some other point in this thread. I guess I'll do a bit of a review, full with photos or perhaps video. Because I know that CWA didn't do one of his Android phone... *Boooo* :Shouting: ;D

So on to B: The deal we got.

Unlimited Talk, (that's to ANY mobile carrier) text and data with a two line family plan for $130
4G devices (we got one, the EVO) are an extra $10 per device. So now we're at $140
Taxes and surcharges are around $20 so now we're at $160

However... Sprint ran a special this past weekend, which was not advertised, and we were offered $30 off of the bill, which is recurring. So now, all we pay is $130 per month!

Hopefully, Sprint will allow current customers to be grandfathered in to their current plans like ATT did with their older subs who have unlimited data, should they do away with unlimited at some point.

C. the Evo and Bold are $300 but come with an $100 mail in rebate. On top of this, they gave us another $50 off each phone.

To say I'm pleased, would be an understatement. I get fantastic reception and coverage and am not being raked over the coals for it. I'm thrilled that the iPhone is going to Verizon, because that just means less people clogging up Sprint's network. I personally find the EVO to be a better match for me vs the iPhone, though I do appreciate one thing that the iPhone has going for it, and that is uniformity.

I do hope that Gingerbread (3.0) is going to mark the end of the dissemination of different GUI's across all of the different handset manufacturer's. The other thing I loathe about the branded Android sets is all of the cruddy bloatware (carrier packages... just utterly useless garbage) installed on them. Rooting is the only way to delete that stuff, and even then, the average Joe likely doesn't care enough about it.

Anyway, just wanted to tell you all of my decision(s) and if anyone has a question about Android or the EVO or Sprint, I'd be more than happy to give you a totally HONEST and non-biased answer, at least to the best of my knowledge and abilities. And when I get some pics and get more familiar with the phone, perhaps I'll do a short review.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You picked an amazing time to get the EVO. Sprint just flipped the switch on 4G in NYC.

Also, Gingerbread is going to 2.3, not 3.0. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yeah, I remember when I had my first beer...

Glad you're happy.

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
You picked an amazing time to get the EVO. Sprint just flipped the switch on 4G in NYC.

Also, Gingerbread is going to 2.3, not 3.0. ;P

Ah, my bad. Though if GB is supposed to be "THE" thing... maybe they should consider just jumping right ahead to 3.0 eh ? Ever since NYC has had the "4G switch" flipped last week, all these silly mobile 4G broadband companies have come out of the woodwork... Too bad it's technically not "really" 4G as is stated by the Union... The ITU, that is. But then again, those guys at the ITU are a wee bit full of themselves. They're saying that we won't have such technology for another 10-12 years, and calling current 4G deployment pure marketing. Which in a way might be true, but you still need to put into words, what needs to be described as being significantly faster than the current 3G networks.

The Dirty Secret of Today's 4G: It's not 4G

Yeah, I remember when I had my first beer...

Glad you're happy.

Thanks. I remember my first kiss. Was very Brady Bunch n' fireworks like. Totally better than any of this tech stuff. Ah, Larissa Lynch... in the bunny trails. O:)

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I can't really compare the choice you had to make with your droid phone. Cause here we can have the iphone on like 4-5 carriers in Australia. And secondly you didn't really prove the phone you got is really all that good. But in saying that the most important about a phone to me is that you enjoy using it.

And since you seem rather pleased to get the phone you did then good on you. I'd glad :).

And I'd never pay more then $30-$40 a month for a phone service. No matter what frills the service had. Just too expensive for my liking. But if you can afford $130 a month and you like it then sore good for you :).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I do hope that Gingerbread (3.0) is going to mark the end of the dissemination of different GUI's across all of the different handset manufacturer's.
Doubt it. I read an article on WinMo 7 this morning and the author likened Android to Windows where carriers get to make their own little "enhancements" and pointed out that this is a major problem for it. I don't see that ending anytime soon (article is here if anyone is interested).

Anyway, just wanted to tell you all of my decision(s) and if anyone has a question about Android or the EVO or Sprint, I'd be more than happy to give you a totally HONEST and non-biased answer, at least to the best of my knowledge and abilities.
With so many positive comments, I don't think you qualify as unbiased anymore ;).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Sprint's data network is pretty good, but I still feel the voice quality is subpar, every person I know who has sprint sounds like they're underwater or talking into a can whenever I talk with them. Doesn't matter which city they're in or what since I'm in at the time, it's consistently poor.

Anyway, just wanted to tell you all of my decision(s) and if anyone has a question about Android or the EVO or Sprint, I'd be more than happy to give you a totally HONEST and non-biased answer, at least to the best of my knowledge and abilities.

I think you gave a great review, but you are not someone who I consider able to do anything without bias. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I had Sprint up until about 2 weeks ago. Loved it, never had a complaint. Good coverage, good prices, poor selection of phones. But they are improving and I understand they're a smaller operation compared to Verizon or AT&T, so they can't get every great smartphone out there. But they do have some nice phones now and I'm sure the selection will improve. I'd have stayed with them if they had the iPhone. That's why we just switched. AT&T is no better and no worse with coverage where I live. Haven't traveled with my new phone yet, so we'll see how the rest of the country compares in real-world experiences.
I personally couldn't stand holding and carrying around a phone the size of the EVO. I also wouldn't pay extra for 4G. It's gonna be the standard eventually anyways. I remember HD TVs cost a premium when they came out and now that's all you can purchase anymore. So, I'm waiting patiently for a 4G iPhone and at the rate that Apple does things, it'll probably come along after 4G is the standard and (hopefully) is no longer an extra charge over 3G.
I'm glad that you got such a great deal on your bill and on your phones. That's awesome! I just had my parents add my wife and I to their AT&T family plan so we saved a good chunk of change that way. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Perhaps somewhere deep down in the corn fields of Minnesota

(Mumbles under his breath) Citified morons...

Could you point me towards those corn fields we have up here in Minnesota? Are they located at the bottom of all the lakes, or between the Birch and Spruce forests?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Yum...birch beer! /threadjack

So yes. 'Grats on your purchase! If it works for you, eff what anyone else has to say.

Personally, not a fan of sprint. We used them for years here at work, and we dropped them for verizon. Verizon's PTT isn't much better than sprint's, though, IMO. Call quality was terrible, though, and I much prefer verizon.

I'll tell you that I love android phones, though. Especially the motorola droid series and the samsung fascinate (galaxy s). Great, great OS!

Haven't played with the evo, yet, but my sis loves hers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Kudos on the Android. I enjoy my DX and despite what anyone else says about the DX or Evo, I don't find the form factor to be too large. If you wanna try something really trippy, use the Exo for about 4 months and then borrow someone's Dinc or iPhone for a bit - they feel downright tiny, almost toy-like. Weird how perspectives can change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
We went with Sprint a couple months ago, So far so good. There 4G service has gotten much better. $69 per month for unlimited everything was too good to pass up.

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't really compare the choice you had to make with your droid phone. Cause here we can have the iphone on like 4-5 carriers in Australia. And secondly you didn't really prove the phone you got is really all that good. But in saying that the most important about a phone to me is that you enjoy using it.

And since you seem rather pleased to get the phone you did then good on you. I'd glad :).

And I'd never pay more then $30-$40 a month for a phone service. No matter what frills the service had. Just too expensive for my liking. But if you can afford $130 a month and you like it then sore good for you :).

Hey, I'm just excited is all. You know how it goes. For a "little bit" I was even looking at ATT again, but there's no way I care for crap*y service with ATT here in NYC just to get an iPhone. It's a nice phone and all, but there's nothing except for one thing that my EVO can't do which it can, and the thing it can't do, I could truly care less about since I've never been in a situation where I've ever needed to use it. I said that it IS that good, based on my prior experience with many phones and not wanting to settle for second best this time around. I was ready to dish out more money to Verizon for a better network and better phone(s) but they really don't offer that as such, IMO. I think a lot of Verizon fan boys like to say that the network is better, in order to justify the astronomical prices they pay vs all the other networks.

And $30-$40 a month for phone service ? How do you guys manage that one? That's outrageously cheap! Good for you guys... guess that's ONE thing you're paying less for. Too bad about the rest of what you have to shell out for down there, from what I understand. Correct me if I'm wrong on that though. (as I'm sure you will!)

Doubt it. I read an article on WinMo 7 this morning and the author likened Android to Windows where carriers get to make their own little "enhancements" and pointed out that this is a major problem for it. I don't see that ending anytime soon (article is here if anyone is interested).

With so many positive comments, I don't think you qualify as unbiased anymore ;).

Well, he's speaking in general based solely what he's seen in the market thus far. It has been said that this is the purpose of Gingerbread though, to unify. I believe however, that what he is referring to and will likely still remain, is all of the third party bloatware which manufacturers seem to think is a great idea to toss on these things. Like with Sprint, there's: Sprint TV, Sprint Navi (GPS) NASCAR etc.. The list goes on. That stuff isn't as much of a nuisance as picking up different Android phones from different carriers or just different manufacturer's under the same roof and having to learn to use a totally different GUI and menu system. That's what it is supposed to end.

Guess we'll see, come GB.

Sprint's data network is pretty good, but I still feel the voice quality is subpar, every person I know who has sprint sounds like they're underwater or talking into a can whenever I talk with them. Doesn't matter which city they're in or what since I'm in at the time, it's consistently poor.

I think you gave a great review, but you are not someone who I consider able to do anything without bias. ;)

I've been asking my friends and family how I sound and they think it sounds great, even on speaker phone. None of the underwater stuff you're talking about. PM me and I'll give you my number. You can find out for yourself ! I'm thinking that perhaps it's the mostly crummy phones which most Sprint users own, that is the problem, and not necessarily the network its self.

As for being biased, I know you're having a laugh and all but none of you can ever accuse me of being biased. I'm here on a Mac forum professing my love of OS X all the time, and other great Apple products. I just happen to not like other Apple products as much, or less than that. (iTunes anyone?) I actually really liked my iPhone, straight up. But I can say this in truth, and not to get anyone all in a tizzy, but I personally find the EVO to be a MUCH better phone in many regards. Battery life likely isn't one of them, but I haven't done any real world tests yet. And my battery hasn't cycled enough for me to test it out.

Plus, I'm getting an aftermarket battery which is said to allow usage of the phone (with all radios on, streaming, listening to music yada yada all day) on a normal basis and not see a drain for at least 3 days. (3500 mAh)

(Mumbles under his breath) Citified morons...

Could you point me towards those corn fields we have up here in Minnesota? Are they located at the bottom of all the lakes, or between the Birch and Spruce forests?

Um, I dunno? How about here ?! Let me know the next time you need a bit of information on Minnesota, K ? :Evil: And btw... your sarcasm is really..... corny
Yum...birch beer! /threadjack

So yes. 'Grats on your purchase! If it works for you, eff what anyone else has to say.

Personally, not a fan of sprint. We used them for years here at work, and we dropped them for verizon. Verizon's PTT isn't much better than sprint's, though, IMO. Call quality was terrible, though, and I much prefer verizon.

I'll tell you that I love android phones, though. Especially the motorola droid series and the samsung fascinate (galaxy s). Great, great OS!

Haven't played with the evo, yet, but my sis loves hers.

I've been using a Boost Mobile phone up until now, and it has been great. It piggyback's off of Sprint's network which I've had nothing but good times with ever since. When I travel past the 5 boroughs, I'll be honest and let you guys know how it gets on after that. I suppose that just as much as any other carrier (except T-Mobile because they stink everywhere I've been) a good deal of issues stem from location and handset (in regards to RF)

The Galazy S phones are ok I guess, but the GPS issue is beyond unforgivable. Samsung has an unremarkable poor history with shoddy hardware and keeping their software up to date as well. No thanks on that one. I'm also not keen on their UI. HTC Sense is awesome. The EVO hardware wise is fantastic and hopefully will only feel better with some polish come Gingerbread.

Reaction score
I've had Sprint for a few years and they just keep getting better. Great service, great pricing, and the phones are getting better.

I currently have the htc Hero, but my YEARLY upgrade is due in December.. Don't know If I'm going with the Epic 4G or the EVO...

That is another great thing about Sprint though, Doug B... After 6 months you automatically become a "Sprint Premiere customer" which gets you a YEARLY upgrade with a 2 year discount price.

It's the greatest. Especially because other stores, such as Best Buy honor the upgrade as well. And by using Best Buy to buy your new phone, you never have to wait for the Mail-in rebates as Best Buy rebates are instant.

C

chas_m

I'm glad to hear Sprint is improving. They were pretty dang awful when I lived in Florida. Never was I so happy to fire a phone company in my life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I-Mac and MBpro
You think you got a deal, try this:
- Buy an unlocked HTC EVO and get it activated on to Boost Mobile. You'll pay about 100.00 for the activation, about 300.00 for the phone and then after that, you'll pay 50.00 a month for UNLIMITED everything on Boost Mobile. In 3-4 months you'd have payed for the service with your old contract. That's what I plan on doing when I get back to the U.S. this Christmas. Within 6 months, your Boost Mobile fee will be 45.00. Still the same reliability of Sprint since they are "friends".

- Search on Craigslist and you'll see the ads.

Good Luck.

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You think you got a deal, try this:
- Buy an unlocked HTC EVO and get it activated on to Boost Mobile. You'll pay about 100.00 for the activation, about 300.00 for the phone and then after that, you'll pay 50.00 a month for UNLIMITED everything on Boost Mobile. In 3-4 months you'd have payed for the service with your old contract. That's what I plan on doing when I get back to the U.S. this Christmas. Within 6 months, your Boost Mobile fee will be 45.00. Still the same reliability of Sprint since they are "friends".

- Search on Craigslist and you'll see the ads.

Good Luck.

I would be careful with that whole plan of yours. Yes, it will work,but at a cost. Boost mobile does indeed use sprints network, BUT, you have to realize two things. First, is that Boost mobile customers are only piggy backing on the network, thus not utilizing every available cell tower that a real Sprint subscriber has access to.

Secondly, if a Sprint customer is ever in an area where the signal isn't so great for some reason or another, the phone is set to seek out the next available tower, which in some cases could be a Verizon tower. Problem here is, even though Sprint roams on Vzn towers, first priority for that particular tower goes to Vzn customers. So not only would you not get first priority, but you can forget about bringing second place for that matter too!

I'm also willing to bet that there's a restriction somewhere in terms of the unlimited data. If not and you're right, perhaps it's worth a shot.

Doug.

Reaction score
He's right about it being $50 for everything unlimited on Boost, however, I believe Boost uses the EDGE network still.

I'm not sure if it's entirely worth it, especially when you can get a 3G Android phone from Sprint with unlimited everything for 69.99.

4G phones, such as the EVO and Epic, run $10 more a month, but those phones are definitely worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First, is that Boost mobile customers are only piggy backing on the network, thus not utilizing every available cell tower that a real Sprint subscriber has access to.

I'm not really so sure that's true. Resellers of Sprint's network have access to Sprint's entire North American network.

Now if you're talking about Sprint's roaming agreements with Verizon, I can't speak to those, but I would imagine they either get those as a reseller or I'm sure companies like Boost, Virgin, et al. probably negotiate on their own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He's right about it being $50 for everything unlimited on Boost, however, I believe Boost uses the EDGE network still.

Boost doesn't use EDGE. EDGE is a GSM network, Sprint/Boost are CDMA.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.