New 17" MBP Battery Replacement--$179

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I apologize if this was already mentioned--there were a ton of posts to go through today...

Macworld says $179 to replace the new MBP battery. And it can be done at any Apple store.

Expo: 17-inch MacBook Pro’s battery replacement will cost $179 | MacUser | Macworld

So just out of curiosity, I looked up the price of the current replaceable 17" MBP purchased new from Apple--$129

Rechargeable Battery - 17-inch MacBook Pro - Apple Store (U.S.)

So the new one is $50 more than the old one. If it really lasts eight hours, I guess I could justify that. I guess the idea is that if the new battery lasts as long as two of the old ones, then there isn't really a need to carry a spare around--and in reality, they would be correct.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
sounds good to me.. i think if all goes and apple says that would justify the $50....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP
At my pace, I could expect to replace the battery every three to four years. I would love to have that battery system in my MBP 15".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" Hi-Def/2GB RAM/250GB HD // iPhone 3Gs 16GB // iPod Classic 80GB
The other thing to remember about the new 17" MBP is that the battery is not user-removable. The $179, I hope, also covers any labor required for the casecracking to do the replacement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.