potential switcher.... not sure what to switch TO

C

cypher

Hey gang. I'm going to switch to mac and give my finacee my pc laptop. and keep my older pc for a renderfarm. I'm not sure what to switch to first though. I know I want portability and power. SO Powerbook is a given. also want a desktop. which though? What I want to do is run Firefox, adobe photoshop,illustrator, the macromedia Mx 2004 suite and lightwave 7.5. not much of a gamers, thats what my ps2 is for. Would I be able to just get the hightest end imac or do I need the powermac, or is the mini just fine...Confused. I only can spend the money once and want to make the right decision. Thanks all
Erik :mac:

OP
N

njguyuk99

cypher said:
Hey gang. I'm going to switch to mac and give my finacee my pc laptop. and keep my older pc for a renderfarm. I'm not sure what to switch to first though. I know I want portability and power. SO Powerbook is a given. also want a desktop. which though? What I want to do is run Firefox, adobe photoshop,illustrator, the macromedia Mx 2004 suite and lightwave 7.5. not much of a gamers, thats what my ps2 is for. Would I be able to just get the hightest end imac or do I need the powermac, or is the mini just fine...Confused. I only can spend the money once and want to make the right decision. Thanks all
Erik :mac:

Ok I have a Powermac 1.25 and a IMac G5 20" 1.8ghz both are fantastic.
However as there are rumors of a new g5 powerbook possibly coming out later in the year it might be best to wait as far as the laptop is concerned. On the desktop front the 20" Imac if perfect for graphics work loads of power and a great design. Once you get used to that much real estate you will never want a smaller screen again.

hope that helps

nick

Reaction score
meh --- 'if' a monkey had wings, he wouldnt bump his butt.
What I'm saying is 'if' you continue to wait for what might be coming around the corner, you'll never buy anything. Get whats best NOW, and enjoy it!!

OP
V

VictoryRose

cypher said:
ok cool njguyuk but how good would the 2 gb imac be with liightwave?

from the articles i've read some people have been running into minor problems, but it looks like LW has been running nicely and all incarnations of iMacs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
I'm a recent convert myself, as in just this past Monday. I was originally interested in the Mac mini (that's what got me in to the apple store) but quickly fell in love with the 20" iMac. Sure it cost 2.5x as much as the mini, but I couldn't be happier with it. I've not actually tried myself, but I don't imagine you would have any problems lightwave on the 1.8ghz iMac provided you equip your with sufficient RAM. For relative processing power, sleek design, and small footprint, you really can't beat the iMacs.

-Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.