Problem with EOS 450D on Snow Leopard

Reaction score
I have upgraded my MacBook Pro to Snow Leopard, and my Canon EOS 450D is no longer recognised.

As soon as i plug in the USB cable, the camera flashes BUSY, as if it's connecting but then reverts to normal shooting mode, as if it's not connected at all.

I have tried everything to upgrading the camera firmware to installing EOS Utility for OS X. Of course the camera works fine on my other machine running Leopard.

If anyone has any sugestions, or is experiencing similar problem, please let me know. (Before I erase my HD and go back to Leopard)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
Have you contacted the manufacturer to see if they have any compatible drivers for the new OS? I am pretty sure they do not.. unfortunately you will probably have to revert back if you're looking to use your camera.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad new =/

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have the same camera and would suggest not connecting your camera directly to the computer.

Get a SD/SDHC card reader if you don't have one already and use that. Seems to get much better transfer rate. Only connected my camera one time. You can pick up a card reader for $5-$20 max.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
Have the same camera and would suggest not connecting your camera directly to the computer.

Get a SD/SDHC card reader if you don't have one already and use that. Seems to get much better transfer rate. Only connected my camera one time. You can pick up a card reader for $5-$20 max.

:O
Deff didnt think of that... its friday what can i say. Good thing we got these super smart sexy moderators :Angry-Tongue:

^_^

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Here's one of the ones I'm using and it's only $0.98 + $1.95 shipping.

It reads my 4 & 8GB SDHC cards without issue.

(And fits in your camera bag a lot nicer than that cable also.)

OP
W
Reaction score

Thanks :) just got one in a shop around the corner, works great.

Reaction score
I have a Canon 450D too and thought that I had the same problem after upgrading to Snow Leopard. When the camera was plugged in via USB I got the "BUSY" screen and then back to the normal screen with no indication in iPhoto that the camera had been picked up. However, after 2-3 mins the camera appeared and imported okay. Tried again and the same thing happened but this time I spotted that the red activity light bottom right of the camera continued to flash after the busy screen changed. Once again about 2 mins later the camera appeared. So it may be that you just need to wait a while, certainly is a lot slower to pick up the camera than with Leopard.

Reaction score
EOS450D and leopard

Hi there, just to let you know that eos450d is working perfect on leopard 10.6.

I opened iphoto then plugged the EOS450D into the computer and within seconds the EOS450D was recognized and my photo's within that same time gap was already on my computer. The other guy had it right!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.