What Would You Choose?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz 4GB 500GB HDD i3 Processor ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB / iPhone 3GS 8GB
Hi Guys,

I am just wondering what I am best to do! Here are my options

I can save up all year and not have any B-Day presents etc just money, And then by christmas I could have a slight chance of Getting a new 27" iMac (new model if a new one arrives :D )

Or I could save up until my B-Day in May and get a iPad (basic 16 gb) And a whole bunch of Mac accessories for my 21.5"?

What would you do guys!

Forgot to say I will be taking I.C.T and Media to do a design course in college

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Nobody can answer that question for you, but this is what I would ask myself:
1) Do I need the 27 " if I have a 21,5 "
2) What functionality would the iPad provide me ?
Are 1 and 2 a must-have or a nice-to-have ?

The answers to these questions would drive my decision.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz 4GB 500GB HDD i3 Processor ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB / iPhone 3GS 8GB
Well I am just looking for some advice if you were in my situation?

Would you guys go for the iPad I wouldn't say a novelty but it will not provide what I need to complete college work etc! But it would be something that I could use in my free time! Lets say a bit like a gift to myself LMAO!

Or do I go with the iMac which will help me in life?

Put yourself in my position what would you do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
If you got the new iMac would you sell your old one? There is a money saving idea there. iPad-wise do you want/ need one so much? If you think that you will only really use your imac then thats the best option especially if your thinking about how much money you will have.
IMO

- Simon

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I see that you already have an iMac. Is there any particular reason why you need to get another iMac?

If anything I would probably get a MBP so that way you can be productive while you are away from your desktop.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

CrimsonRequiem: The macbook pro 15" costs Over £100 more than the 27" Imac I wouldn't pay that and I cannot use the 13" LOL! One of the main reasons why i would upgrade is because I like to keep up to date with products and 90% of people I have seen posting online are 100% sure that there will be a new generation of iMac and macbook pro after Lion is released!

Buzzard2010: The 21.5" Would go! I get roughly £350 for my B-Day I have £80 now after selling bits and pieces! Then After the price drop i would get £650 for my iMac maybe £600 And then for christmas I get £400! So I would just about make it to a 27"
I wanted a iPad first of all as I have always loved the iPad but I have got to take a look at my priorities!
If I am going to get good grades in my College work etc I am going to need the right kit to do it I guess.
So I am probably best saving up for the iMac and until i know I will definitely be able to get one I won't sell my 21.5"

Reaction score
Is there anything you can't do on your 21.5" that you'd want to do on the 27 inch? The big screen is a wonderful thing, but personally if I had a 21.5" that was in good shape, and capable of the work I use it for, I would go for the iPad and Mac accessories. My wife and I upgraded our computers recently, but only because they were becoming unable to do the work required. I'm a firm believer in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it", but I have to admit, the screen on the 27 inch is a beautiful thing. Seems to me you really can't lose either way! :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just remember...computer depreciation works against you when selling a computer...but also works in your favor when you buy a used computer (1-2 years old).

So if you really want a 27" iMac (at a greatly reduced price from new)...consider a used 27" iMac.:)

- Nick

Above is what I posted in your "Mac Depreciation" thread...same logic applies in this thread as well. Nothing really wrong with buying a 1-2 year-old "previously- owned" Macintosh...especially if you're able to see & use the computer before buying.

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Hi,

CrimsonRequiem: The macbook pro 15" costs Over £100 more than the 27" Imac I wouldn't pay that and I cannot use the 13" LOL! One of the main reasons why i would upgrade is because I like to keep up to date with products and 90% of people I have seen posting online are 100% sure that there will be a new generation of iMac and macbook pro after Lion is released!

Well you are going to be in for a big surprise then. Cause technology moves very fast and what's new today is going to be old by tomorrow.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there anything you can't do on your 21.5" that you'd want to do on the 27 inch? The big screen is a wonderful thing, but personally if I had a 21.5" that was in good shape, and capable of the work I use it for, I would go for the iPad and Mac accessories. My wife and I upgraded our computers recently, but only because they were becoming unable to do the work required. I'm a firm believer in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it", but I have to admit, the screen on the 27 inch is a beautiful thing. Seems to me you really can't lose either way! :)

I am upgrading partially because I love the 27"
But also to get a higher spec for my work! And then to upgrade to the new generation of iMac that is due to arrive after Lion is released!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.