Should I avoid filling my Hard-drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz, ipod classic 160gb, iphone4 16gb, imac g4, ipod 2nd gen 40gb
Hi, I'm just looking for some good advice for storing music.

Basically, I have a 160gb ipod, which i sync with a windows pc, because i ran out of space on my 80gb Imac. I have just bought a Macbook pro 250gb and want to sync my ipod with it long term. I don't use a huge amount on my hard drive otherwise, so should i just swap it all on to the macbooks hard-drive or use an external hard drive. I believe there is a way to tell my mac that the music is on an external drive, but i don't know how to do this. Obviously it would be easier to have it on my internal drve, But crucially will this affect my macbook's performance?

sorry it's such a long winded question, but any replies and opinions greatly appreciated.

James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This is hard to answer without knowing how much space you are using on the iPod.

The thing to keep in mind is that OS X is a "self defragmenting" file system. This functionality works well until the disk gets low on space, and then OS X is no longer able to do it. At that point, you will start to see performance impacts.

As long as you have roughly 10+ GB of free space after you dump your music on to the disk, you should be OK. If you go below that, you might want to consider alternatives.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz, ipod classic 160gb, iphone4 16gb, imac g4, ipod 2nd gen 40gb
Thanks for the quick reply. At the moment there is about 90gb of music, so i will still have a lot of space, well over 130gb. But not being an expert on these things, i just wondered over time would it affect its performance. But going by what you said I shouldn't have a problem. Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.