Power Mac G5 Memory Question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
Can my Power Mac G5 (see specs under user-name box) have DDDR2 PC3200 240 pin installed? I can't find my User Guide. I had it out last night reading up about DIMM installation. This is a pisser. :dive: So can I use this memory posted above?
Thanks.

M

menace3054

TTheInfamous1 said:
Can my Power Mac G5 (see specs under user-name box) have DDDR2 PC3200 240 pin installed? I can't find my User Guide. I had it out last night reading up about DIMM installation. This is a pisser. :dive: So can I use this memory posted above?
Thanks.

hey tj, im 95% sure that ddr2 ram is not backwards compatible with ddr systems. Also, the powermac needs 184 pins, and ddr as you said, is 240. so no, unfortunately that ram wont work :(

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, I found out. Someone responded to a post about it on the site. And I did some more researching on it. I've never heard of DDR2 until now. Thanks though.

How's the PowerBook working out? Is it better than the PowerMac G5 for your needs? If I would have caught your "For Sale" thread sooner, I would have purchased it. I'm also in the market for a PowerBook for mobile computing. Or even another PowerMac G5. Still thinking about it.

Thanks for the response. BTW, I never worked out a decent deal for the DLs. He was going to send for free. Then I told him how many I wanted, LOL!

M

menace3054

I love my PB. it just makes more sense for me.. I felt kinda bad in a way, i had an amazing powermac and all i used it for was school work and internet. it was a total waste of a machine. My school schedule this semester is screwy and i have hour gaps between classes, so its really nice to be able to bring my laptop to school. its a little slower,but definately all i need! too bad theres no dvd drive patch to make this sd a 16x dl! heh, take it easy dude

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool. If its all you need for now, then thats all you need. And it may be slower than the PM G5, but its faster than what most people are carrying around. I'll catch up with you later. Take it easy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.