constant error messages when backing up hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook3,1, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz.
Hey,

I'm having a problem thats proving impossible for me to solve... Firstly, I have 3 hard drives. I have my internal hard drive, I have an external hard drive for backing up and I have another hard drive in external casing that im trying to create a bootable copy of my system on to, so that i can then use that as my internal hard drive. (its double the size).

The problem is: every single time I try to clone my hard drive, it fails. I have tried 5 different programs. With superduper it reaches 32.29GB and then stops working. With CCC it stops whenever it wants, usually after 40minutes and ejects the hard drive. With Disk Utility it cant even mount the drive to start the cloning process. I also tried using Drive Genius 2 but again, it wont start the process (and its a very slow program). I did numerous health checks on all my hard drives and everything comes back ok. I cleaned my computer using various programs to get rid of any bad files using "spring cleaning, & leopard cache cleaner" etc. For a test, I then tried cloning my internal hard drive onto my external hard drive (the one that i have for backing up) and that worked!

This confuses me even more. What then is the problem?! It must be with the new hard drive. Might it be the external casing?! Could the problem be with the actual hard drive when all tests come back negative for defects?! Im using an intel-based mac, so there shouldnt be any problems there..

ANY help would be much much appreciated. I've been dealing with this problem for a month and all I want to do is upgrade to a bigger hard drive!!

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just a WAG here.... but it sounds as if the external hard drive case may not be the correct interface, or it may even be defective. Can you test the drive with another case?

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a WAG here.... but it sounds as if the external hard drive case may not be the correct interface, or it may even be defective. Can you test the drive with another case?

Regards.

I wondered this too.. but its a basic Logilink 2.5" SATA Hard drive enclosure. its not possible to test it on another hard drive.. but if it cant be anything else i can buy another casing..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
With the external connected, go to Disk Utility and see if the Logilink drive appears, and if so select it and run Repair Disk and see what is reported.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With the external connected, go to Disk Utility and see if the Logilink drive appears, and if so select it and run Repair Disk and see what is reported.

hi.. i also tried this numerous times with disk utility and others.. everytime the disk comes back healthy.. which is why im completely stuck... :[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Does the disk currenlty have information on it?

If so, then go into Disk Utility, select the target drive (the one you want to copy too and make bootable), then erase it. Now format it giving it an oS X Extended Journaled format.

Also, repair permissions on your internal disk, then try CCC again.

I've done this in the past, and it worked after that.

Hope it helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.