Drive just a monitor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple since 1982, now: iMac 2.5 ghz, 500 HD, sandy bridge
OK... I've decided that I would like to put up a bunch of hanging wall screens around my house(or maybe four of them in one place) that are actually not photos but flat screen lcd monitors. Will an old 40 gig drive apple tv 1 drive these(one for each LCD) so that I can show my photography in this way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
OK... I've decided that I would like to put up a bunch of hanging wall screens around my house(or maybe four of them in one place) that are actually not photos but flat screen lcd monitors. Will an old 40 gig drive apple tv 1 drive these(one for each LCD) so that I can show my photography in this way?

They certainly should, although bear in mind that the ATV only outputs to 720p. If you are showing off photography, and assuming it's high res stuff, and assuming you are using 1080p displays, I suspect you'd be doing your work a disservice unless the viewers are standing far back enough to the point that the extra detail of 1080p can not be discerned by the human eye.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
For HD content then the Iomega ScreenPlay is a better bet

Western Digital also do Hi DEf media players (Western Digital's WDTv)

These are a better bet than the Apple TV for your particular set-up

OP
zarathu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So .... then I'm looking for a small media player that will obnly read a flash drive, no HD or cd/dvd necessary. Just need to read the flash drive and put up photos at full HD res.

Suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So .... then I'm looking for a small media player that will obnly read a flash drive, no HD or cd/dvd necessary. Just need to read the flash drive and put up photos at full HD res.

Suggestions?

The Boxee Box would likely work, as well as Google TV devices like the Logitech Revue. All these seem like overkill though for what you are looking to do. Have you thoroughly considered how you are going to hook these up and the general ramifications of managing all this (connectors needed, electrical supply for all these, managing all the cables if you want a tidy appearance)? Are you using LCD computer displays, or flat panel TV sets? Many TV sets today have USB ports in them and can do slide shows on their own, completely negating the need for a 3rd-party box. And of course your budget is a factor, and what devices you currently have on-hand to use for this project.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Have you investigated whether some of the dedicated digital photo frames are of high enough resolution for you? I haven'yt looked at this in a while but they can come with some internal memory, usually have space for flash drives and can get to be quite large. Although the larger ones are a bit more expensive they might be the same as some of the other options mentioned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
Have you looked into some tablets? Archos makes a few for under 200$ that can output 720p.
For around $260 you could combine the whole thing into just hanging a few Archos 101 tablets. Additionally you can use them as home interaction tools with some work as they are touch screens, your clients could look through your gallery, etc. It has a full USB port.
Archos 101 internet tablet (8GB) 501590 B&H Photo Video

OP
zarathu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no... looking for big viewing

I'm interested in displaying my landscape and portrait photography on the wall, not looking at snap shots of my vacation with friends.

I've discovered that there are some video players that only do flash drive or flash cards for very cheap, like $30 or less, and combined with a monitor of 22 to 24 inches, you can get a pretty good picture. Photos on the wall are designed to be looked at from 2- 3 feet away not in the detail at 2 inches.

Thanks for your input though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm interested in displaying my landscape and portrait photography on the wall, not looking at snap shots of my vacation with friends.

I've discovered that there are some video players that only do flash drive or flash cards for very cheap, like $30 or less, and combined with a monitor of 22 to 24 inches, you can get a pretty good picture. Photos on the wall are designed to be looked at from 2- 3 feet away not in the detail at 2 inches.

Thanks for your input though.

What kind of budget do you have? You could get used iMacs and wall-mount them with VESA mounts.
VESA Mount Adapter Kit for 24-inch/27-inch iMac and 24-inch/27-inch LED Cinema Display - Apple Store (U.S.)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
For what you want, I'd just get monitors with built-in USB ports supporting flash drives for displaying your pics - such as - link. Of course, do the research on them first to find out exactly what tasks they'll perform from a flash drive. Looking up the owner's manual online should fill you in on that aspect if there are no reviews out there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.