How to fix my iMac SuperDrive?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just writing because I have recently replaced my iMac 7.1's superdrive with a new one, but I'm having the exact same problem - the iMac won't recognise the drive at all.

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be? I'm guessing it could be a problem with the cable/s between the drive and the logic board... but is there any other likely, or even more likely possibilities? I don't want to keep buying new hardware and disassembling my iMac (drainer).

Thanks for your help guys,
Narps

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the drive you bought is one that's compatible with your iMac and the installation of it is correct, it should be recognized by the system. It is possible that it may be a connector problem or as you stated, the cable.

Disassembling an iMac is not an easy task but that's probably what you're facing in order to check things out and possibly substitute another cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
The one thing you could to is a sata to usb adapter and test the old one to see if it works.

That would tell you what the issue could be.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.