Swapping OS drives between Two Power Mac G5

Reaction score
I am the Technical Director at our church. We have two Power Mac G5 computers. I know very little about the Mac, but I'm trying to learn.

One Mac has the 2.5 GHz dual processors and the other has a single 1.8 GHz processor. I inherited this mess when I was hired at the first of this year. The 1.8 GHz has Leopard, FinalCut Pro Studio 6.0 and I just ordered iLife for the Mac. I was very confused as to why one Mac was so much faster that the other until I looked at the System Profiler of both Macs. The dual processor Mac has Tiger on it and FinalCut Pro 6.0 on it.

My question is, can I switch operating system hard drives between the two Macs??? I want Leopard on the 2.5 GHz dual processor Mac along with FinalCut Pro Studio and iLife.

Can the Mac handle this without going crazy?????? I know that this will work on some Windows PC, while it won't work on other PCs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The standard specs for both machines reports they each use 1 160GB SATA drive with 1.5GB transfer rate so just swap them around no problems. Here are the specs for the DP and if you look at the system bus speed etc. you will understand why it is so much faster than the very early 1.8GHz G5. Also there is quite a bit of differencde in the graphic display card of the two units.

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.5 DP (PCI-X) Specs (Mid-2004 - M9457LL/A) @ EveryMac.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.