Cannot send mail with Entourage...

T

thannah

I am a serious novice, but need some help with Entourage. I use a satellite provider in one state and dsl (bellsouth.net) in another. I have always been able to send/receive mail when I go from one home to the other by making changes to my outgoing mail information. For some reason I can no longer send mail and get error 17897 message "Authentication failed because Entourage doesn't support any of the available authentication methods". I spent 2 days on the phone with bellsouth before hooking up my old PC, using the old methods and was able to send mail. Created new email account and that didn't work either. Obviously it is an issue with Entourage, but can find no help. I am receiving mail fine, just cannot send. Any ideas or directions to turn? Thanks!
Traci

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMac, Retina 5K, 3.6 GHz, 64 GB Memory, 2 TB storage
thannah said:
I am a serious novice, but need some help with Entourage. I use a satellite provider in one state and dsl (bellsouth.net) in another. I have always been able to send/receive mail when I go from one home to the other by making changes to my outgoing mail information. For some reason I can no longer send mail and get error 17897 message "Authentication failed because Entourage doesn't support any of the available authentication methods". I spent 2 days on the phone with bellsouth before hooking up my old PC, using the old methods and was able to send mail. Created new email account and that didn't work either. Obviously it is an issue with Entourage, but can find no help. I am receiving mail fine, just cannot send. Any ideas or directions to turn? Thanks!
Traci

When I travel I make the following settings adjustment. (Caveat: I use Comcast but this ought to work for you.) Go into Entourage, select Account settings, click on your email account, click on Edit, go to the advanced settings for sending email. Check the box that says: SMTP server requires authantication and under that check the box that says: Use same settings as receiving mail server.

That should do it.

Reaction score
I am having the same problem. Tried what you suggested and it is not working. Any other suggestions? I'm with Time Warner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.