powerbook lcd cracked! repair or buy a macbook pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz powerbook g4, 1gb RAM, radeon mobility 9700, combo drive
ok, so i dropped my aluminum powerbook today (which sucked real bad, btw), and was wondering whether i should drop $350 and replace the screen myself or whether i should just get a new macbook pro.

my powerbook is a 1.5ghz g4 with 1gb RAM, the regular combo drive, and dvi (not dual-link, though). i do a lot of photography (digital and film) and digital imaging (it's my major at school), so a newer computer would really help.

if i were to get a macbook pro, i'd have two options:

option 1:

2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory
120GB hard drive
8x double-layer SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 128MB SDRAM
new LED-backlit LCD

option 2:

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory
120GB hard drive
6x SuperDrive
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB of GDDR3 memory
older CCFT-backlit LCD

so, basically, slightly slower with the new screens or slightly faster with the older screens? (if i were to get a MBP).

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 GB at 7200rpms 4GB ram...iPhone 3G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video
Considering the work you do with it I would go with option 2 based solely on the fact that you would have more video ram. Although I'm not sure about the performance differences of both cards, I don't imagine the nvidia card being a dramatic leap forward. Doing that kind of work you have to work on a desk with a mouse etc and wont get to enjoy the power savings from the newer led screen. (From my experience at least, as I do the same work)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.