IPhotos Folder misssing

Reaction score
We are fairly new MacBook Pro owners, relatively senior and only a little IT savvy.

recently our grandchildren were playing with Iphoto and Photo Booth. Somehow the list under Finder "Search For" the All Pictures (or Images) has disappeared.

We used to have the Iphoto icon along the bottom of the screen and by clicking on it we could open Iphoto and see the various folders we had made. The icon below the screen has gone. Can't seem to find it anywhere!

We are certain the pics are still available because in AllDocuments within Finder we see over 10,000 items of which the majority are jpeg pics.

My query (plea) for help is how can I restore Iphoto so that I may restore the pics back into folders as they were?

Any help will be most gratefully received and Nana (my wife) will feel happy because she is the one who uses Iphoto most. Of course it goes without saying the Grandkids are not permitted to play with "Nana's computer" without one of us on hand.

Best Wishes

Garry Coley

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Welcome to Mac-Forums Garry,

I think what has happened from what I can gather is that the icon for iPhoto has disappeared from the Dock at the bottom of the screen?
If that is the case the best idea is to open a finder window and click on applications, scroll down until you find iPhoto app, then click and drag that iPhoto app icon into the dock, where you release the icon and it should be back where it was.
Hope this is what you are looking for.

- Simon

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi Simon,

Thanks for your suggestion and Yes, I did mean the icon in the Docking area below the screen. My daughter had suggested the same but unfortunately the i-photo folder is not among the application listing. Most everything else is but not the omne we so badly want back.

Where the g'kids put it I am puzzled - I'm wondering if they put it in Trash then it got dispensed with???

I have thought about using the disk and reloading but that says that I may lose everything we already have so reluctant to do that.

So Thanks again for taking the time to offer your suggestion.

Garry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Try these two options:

1: Go to at the top menu Go > Home > Pictures
there should be an icon in there called ipoto library open it if there is, when it opens you can right-click the icon that appears in the dock and click on "Keep in Dock"

if that isn't there

2: Click the spotlight icon top right of your screen and type iphoto in there to see if it brings the icon up, if it is do the same as above (right click keep in dock )

hope this helps

- Simon

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
If you have to reinstall iPhoto, you can avoid losing your existing library by going to the iPhoto library and renaming it or making a copy with a different name.
Then, when you start iPhoto after the reinstall you can either force it to use the renamed existing library (don't remember the steps to do this and I am not at my Mac to look right now, but relatively straight forward) or, you can reimport your photos from the renamed old library to your new default library.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.