Mac Parts Question - individual or bulk

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was anti-Apple 10 years ago. I used an I-River to boycott the iPod, until I couldn't resist the 60Gb version that was released and converted over. Ever since dipping my toe into the Apple ocean, I have slowly been converted into an all-Apple advocate. iPod, iPhone, iPad, and most recently, the MacBook Air.

But, I've noticed that the MBA (unlike PC laptops) doesn't have a lot of options when it comes to docking stations - and the one I'd be interested in (LandingZone - on kickstarter) is floundering in pre-production. So, I was thinking about making my own, and if there is demand, making them for others.

Yet, the challenge I face is that some of the proprietary Apple parts do not come up under a simple google search. The two in particular are: the male & female ends of the magsafe A/C cord (the part that is in the laptop and the part that connects to it with a green power light) and the male & female ends of the thunderport.

Does anyone know where one can acquire individual pieces for my own prototype, and more importantly, where one can buy these in bulk if they were to start building docks for others?

~Derek

P.S. This is my first post on the Mac-Forums, booyow!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yet, the challenge I face is that some of the proprietary Apple parts do not come up under a simple google search. The two in particular are: the male & female ends of the magsafe A/C cord (the part that is in the laptop and the part that connects to it with a green power light) and the male & female ends of the thunderport.

The MagSafe Adapters can be purchased at many third party resellers, however, that's not what you're looking for. The connectors, especially Thunderbolt are proprietary to Apple and can only be used under license. I doubt you're going to find anyone who even stocks them as loose parts.

There are a number of nice docking stations available for Mac portables. Take a look in the advertiser's section of MacWorld and MacLife magazines.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.