Start > Run

I

iSheep

Right, I'm really, really, really, really sorry, but I'm using Windows. I am going to make the Switch in September, but I'm just pondering - does Mac OS X have anything like Run in Windows?

Chances are it doesn't because it doesn't need one and my computer habbits will change once I've swtiched, but I'm curious.

:)

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Not that I know of... the Terminal may be able to do things like that, but I'm no UNIX expert.

OP
I

iSheep

I've been hunting around on Google, and it seems like there just isn't any purpose for it - what with having the Dock and all.

Thanks for the reply Absolute Zero.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
I can't think of anything that resembles Windows' "Run". I find that in Windows to be pretty useless, but I don't use windows, so who knows :)

OP
I

iSheep

Ahhh, it's great. Need a cacluator? Win+R calc - you've got one. Perhaps Word? Win+R word - done, there's word. Perhaps you want Firefox? Win+R firefox - there you go. Need some tunes? I've got mine to go Win+R music - and up pops iTunes! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
iSheep said:
Ahhh, it's great. Need a cacluator? Win+R calc - you've got one. Perhaps Word? Win+R word - done, there's word. Perhaps you want Firefox? Win+R firefox - there you go. Need some tunes? I've got mine to go Win+R music - and up pops iTunes! :)

I assume "win" means the little button on a keyboard that has the "window" logo on it, then press "R" to open "Run" then you type Music and hit enter and that pops up?

I would just assume use the Dock, plus I think you can asign shortcuts to apps.

OP
I

iSheep

Yeah, it seems like that. Mac and Windows habbits are very different, I'm sure I'll adapt.

OP
P

PowerbookG417

you can do it in terminal like someone else said...i dont know the command myself eithre..but you can look it up int he darwin forum room here :)

OP
C

CaptainMack

there is a run command with shareware. i use it and it is called desktop manager. i use the run command alot and i find it very usefull. the funny thing is that the run command is not the main use for this program. the program is for having multiple desktops. i would not be able to live without this program and whenever i a using another computer i find myself accidentily using the shortcuts for this program :D

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i was doing a search and dug this up. i know it's really old.

had to respond with the obvious for any other switchers who might be missing start > run. there is an obvious answer now.

spotlight.

type in your app name as you would in "run", it should immediately pop up in spotlight, click on it... pow! there you go!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
that is a very good thing to note eric. u have rep!

and also glad you were using the search function!!

-chris

Reaction score
Isn't just clicking one icon in the dock a lot more efficient? Maybe I'm missing something here.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
sure, but you can't keep everything on your dock.

windows is the same way, you can keep all of your important stuff in your quick launch, but if you wanted to maintain a really clean look, or liked using your keyboard more than your mouse, start > run was effective (windows key > up arrow x3 > enter results in 'run' by default).

technically if you wanted a super clean look, you could remove all your dock items too (and hide it) and then 'run' all your apps right out of spotlight (and make use of shortcuts to switch and quit programs).

Reaction score
sure, but you can't keep everything on your dock.

windows is the same way, you can keep all of your important stuff in your quick launch, but if you wanted to maintain a really clean look, or liked using your keyboard more than your mouse, start > run was effective (windows key > up arrow x3 > enter results in 'run' by default).

technically if you wanted a super clean look, you could remove all your dock items too (and hide it) and then 'run' all your apps right out of spotlight (and make use of shortcuts to switch and quit programs).
Oh I see.

Well that kind of thing never bothers me. I'm not too worried about a "clean look" as long as it's efficient to do what I do most of the time.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
as i was typing that i was thinking to myself, why don't i do that?

i do have most of the stuff i use all the time on the dock, but i could certainly just utilize spotlight to start onyx (which is not on my dock) instead of going to finder then applications (at least i added that to my 'task pane' in finder), then utilities (where i put onyx), and then clicking on onyx.

or i guess i could just make a folder with aliases of a bunch of my favorite apps and add that folder to my finder's task/favorites area (what the heck do you call the lower left pane in finder?).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Or you could just add that folder you created to the Dock like so:

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
There is 'Go to Folder', Command + Shift + G, obviously not the same, but kind of similar for me since most of the time I use 'Run' in Windows is to quickly get to some directory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
There is always the option of quicksilver which is a quick keyboard shortcut (mine is option + space) then type the first few letters of the app and hit enter and it launches, or you can browse your itunes library from it hit enter and it plays that song... etc. imo its better then run.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
And 1000x faster than spotlight

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.