my computer seems empty but my hardrive says its full

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbookpro 10.4.9.
hello all .. ive had my mac book pro for about 10 months. since then ive just been loading on and taking off music. these last couple of months ive basically loaded alot of my new music. my hard drive is mostly full. i understand that itunes makes a copy of each song i transfer but once that is complete i just put the album i have back on to my external hardrive. i have no music sitting on my pc and nor do i have any movies on here. but my harddrive is reading at 97% {istat readings} so im here to ask is there any program which will allow me to find out where all this unknown wanted items is lets say a directory. i cant even think of where certain items may have gone to by accident. if anyones know what i should do i would be really be grateful i know i need more HD but for now my computer should be free of anything big besides my music stored on itunes. thanks for your time reading this.. :teen:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
hello all .. ive had my mac book pro for about 10 months. since then ive just been loading on and taking off music. these last couple of months ive basically loaded alot of my new music. my hard drive is mostly full. i understand that itunes makes a copy of each song i transfer but once that is complete i just put the album i have back on to my external hardrive. i have no music sitting on my pc and nor do i have any movies on here. but my harddrive is reading at 97% {istat readings} so im here to ask is there any program which will allow me to find out where all this unknown wanted items is lets say a directory. i cant even think of where certain items may have gone to by accident. if anyones know what i should do i would be really be grateful i know i need more HD but for now my computer should be free of anything big besides my music stored on itunes. thanks for your time reading this.. :teen:

I use OmniDiskSweeper for the purpose. It isn't free, but you can check out the trial version. It will basically inventory your entire disk and show you where the biggest folders are. Highly recommended.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbookpro 10.4.9.
thanks cwa107 ya that is needed thanks for the reply mate i shall look into that as soon as possible/ thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Hate to ask the most obvious question, but do you empty your trash? I've seen Macs with 15GB or more in there...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I use OmniDiskSweeper for the purpose. It isn't free, but you can check out the trial version. It will basically inventory your entire disk and show you where the biggest folders are. Highly recommended.

Thnx, just what I needed. Found 3GB of left over Parallels stuff.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbookpro 10.4.9.
yes i did erase all my trash that is done daily with the amount of downloading i do.. but the site cwa gave me worked it showed me all the programs with the most crap inside. but i still reckon there is a folder with all the cache ive uploaded over the past 10 months. but the folder wont say the contains images of the web page or album covers. i know it all sounds daft but with mac you have to ask daft questions to get things done.. i do luv mac but simple headaches wont go away

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.