Windows domain jump

T

TobyAnscombe

Hi all,

I am currently thinking about jumping into the mac world but would like a couple of Q's answered first.

I am an ex-programmer who is now in middle management and thus do not need to code for the wintel platform at the moment - most of my work is in the XML/XSLT/XSD/XMI space and I use Eclipse and XML Spy for most of my work. I know that both are avalible for Mac's but wonder if the plugins used for Eclipse are the same for both platforms?

I still run a W2k3 domain with a couple of websites, file share and Exchange 2003, I know that the web and fileshares will work but will Office 2004 allow me to use the full groupware parts of exchange (i.e. calender/contacts as well as mail)?

Is Office 2004 file compatible with Office 2003(Windows)?

Can I maintain the roles and usernames that I currently use on the domain? (all photos, music, documents etc are stored on the server so that they are backed up) - can I still use mapped paths?

Can I logon as different users? (i.e. no shared profiles, each user has their own desktop enviroment?)

Both myself and my partner have iPods and a couple of digital cameras (EOS300D and Cybershot's) which I assume will work without problem in any app (Photoshop or Elements).

The office printers are setup on the w2k3 box and are shared, I assume that I can connect ok.

How good is Virtual PC at running things like Visual Studio?

Can I use VNC/Remote desktop to still give me a wintel box for those things that just don't work?

The bulk of the use will be in the home focusing on email, calender, iTunes, photos etc with maybe a little of my work on xsd's. I'm currently looking at a 1.4Ghz Mac Mini as this is only an experiment to see how I get on - will this have sufficent memory and clock cycles to cope with the bulk of the tasks outlined about?

As I live in London I am trying to get into the store to ask the same questions to the Genius's but every time they are rammed to the gills

Reaction score
Is Office 2004 file compatible with Office 2003(Windows)?
Yes

Can I logon as different users? (i.e. no shared profiles, each user has their own desktop enviroment?)
Yes

Both myself and my partner have iPods and a couple of digital cameras (EOS300D and Cybershot's) which I assume will work without problem in any app (Photoshop or Elements).
I don't think you'll have any problems with that

How good is Virtual PC at running things like Visual Studio?
Virtual PC sucks for just about everything

Can I use VNC/Remote desktop to still give me a wintel box for those things that just don't work?
Yes, VNC works really well.

The bulk of the use will be in the home focusing on email, calender, iTunes, photos etc with maybe a little of my work on xsd's. I'm currently looking at a 1.4Ghz Mac Mini as this is only an experiment to see how I get on - will this have sufficent memory and clock cycles to cope with the bulk of the tasks outlined about?
It'll be usable, probably seem a bit slow if going from a decent P4/A64 PC. I would go with 1GB RAM

I answered what I could...

OP
T

TobyAnscombe

Cheers - Am I to guess that from your answer 1gb of ram will make a helluva difference? Coming from the wintel world where 1gb is the minimum it kinda makes sense...

The machine it is replacing is an Athlon 3000+ with 1gb ram, still a 32bit machine. I'll need to get a decent sized USB hub though as I have a lot of devices...

Also, what's the S-Video output like? I need to buy an adaptor but can you run it on a TV ok? if so then it might replace my old MCE box that is only used to share music and play mpegs

Reaction score
TobyAnscombe said:
Also, what's the S-Video output like? I need to buy an adaptor but can you run it on a TV ok? if so then it might replace my old MCE box that is only used to share music and play mpegs

Looks about as good as any computer trying to run on a TV, which is usually pretty crappy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.