Imac toasted?

J

jb1013

500 mhz / 128MB RAM
All White (Slot Loading)
20GB / CDRW

Model M5521,

Had two Imacs plugged directly in to wall outlet. I KNOW No surge protector :( Bad Idea. Kicking myself now.

Anyway, booted both systems and they were running fine. Shut down, and restarted one and when it powered up it caused the other screen to flash then to short out. Now it won't boot at all. I think it fried the harddrive, as it started clicking. So I tried another harddrive, bad idea, after booting it agian it fried the second harddrive causing it to click as well. :eek:

After removing the second hard drive, I attempted to boot to OS Startup Disk. No Luck. Blank green screen for awhile and eventually ??? Mark Icon came up.

I'm wondering what all is fried, powersupply, logic board?

Definately not putting anymore harddrives in it.

I'm not a Mac person so I'm not really sure what I should do at this point?

Any help would be appreciated.

JB

OP
M

m1k

Please! It's iMac, not Imac. Thanks! :);)

Anyways, try putting the second hard drive that you tried (and thought was fried) into another comp. See if it still works. If it doesn't work, well, then you fried both HD's.

I would also try plugging the iMac into another wall socket, to see if that's the problem.

If the harddrive got fried, and it wouldn't boot from CD even, then there's definitely someting wrong with the internal parts. I would guess either the logic board or the power management unit, but I don't know a lot about the internal iMac parts... Maybe somebody else knows more?

Anyways, good luck, sorry to hear about your sick Mac :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.