Removing iWork 05

Reaction score
I had a trial run of iWork 05 on my ibook, well my gfbought me a copy of iwork retail for our 2year and when I attempt to install it, it says "Newer version of iWork installed on this volume." I've already deleted all the iwork stuff (that's how you delete programs, just remove any thing asssociated with it right?) and it still says this. now I noticed when installing the program one of the requirements is iwork 4 something (or something like that) so does it require that I have iwork trial installed to work? If so does that mean I'm screwed and have to reload from my restore cds?

I'm lost...help! :)

OP
Dominion
Reaction score
To add on to this, if I use the system restore discs, will I lose all my other programs (iLife 05, etc?) Or will it basically reinstall the system like it came to me from factory?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
OK , If you still had the trial installed all you would have had to do is enter the bought versions registration number. It will not install because you have obviously updated the iWork trial version. So it's now a newer version than the one you bought. :)

To make sure you get rid of everything so you can reinstall iWork.
(Copied & Pasted from Apple Support discussions.)

First, the applications - Hard Drive > Applications - Delete the entire iWork folder (containing the Keynote & Pages applications).

Second, the preferences - Hard Drive > Users > [your account] > Library > Preferences - Delete com.apple.iWork.Keynote.plist, com.apple.iWork.Pages.plist & com.apple.iWork.Installer.plist. Then do a search for iWork in Spotlight & trash any files or folders.

Third, receipts - Hard Drive > Library > Receipts - Delete Pages.pkg & Keynote 2.pkg. If there are any other packages with Pages, Keynote or iWork in their names, delete these as well.

If you have created any templates, you may not want to delete them. They are located in Hard Drive > Users > [your account] > Library > Application Support > iWork > Pages/Keynote > Templates > My Templates. Just move that iWork folder to the Desktop & you can move it back later.

It would be worthwhile to repair permissions before installing your purchased iWork. Don't forget to repair permissions after installing, too.
Best.

OP
Dominion
Reaction score
Alright I'll try these things, if they don't work....and there are a few things bugging me, if I do a full erase and restore from my two system discs, do they restore iwork, ilife, office....etc iwork I don't care so much about, but office I'm currently in the trial and I do use it on a regular basis, just don't have the cash yet to buy it.

OP
Dominion
Reaction score
Sorry for all the newb questions, but I am after all a newb :p

Edit: Woohoo removing those pkg (I got everything but them) worked, it's installing now. You rock guy!

Now even though it does work, there are a few things I wish I would have known when first setting up the iBook/installing new apps. Back to my restore question. Would be awesome if it restores everything so I can redo it (I named a bunch of stuff wrong, all my files are jumbled, and I had a lot of useless crap till I found the right progs)

But thanks for the help :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
The Office trial would be iffy ~ MS usually is :)
If so, NeoOffice/J is a free Mac version of Open Office and works as a normal Mac program rather than using X11. Saves and opens MS Office files.
http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/download.php

As long as you have all the discs from a new purchase you should be fine.
Make GOOD Backups.
Best

F

fco1922

Removing applications

One excellent and easy way to delete applications is to use OmniDiskSweeper. It is superb and deletes locked files and all the various extensions. A trial version was on the disk sent out with the latest iCreate magazine. A full version only costs $14. It did the trick for me after I tried unsuccessfully, using all the suggested methods, to dispose of Media Player.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Dominion, The problem you were having was caused by the receipt file.

torchy said:
Third, receipts - Hard Drive > Library > Receipts - Delete Pages.pkg & Keynote 2.pkg. If there are any other packages with Pages, Keynote or iWork in their names, delete these as well.

Like torchy suggested removing the receipt file resolved your problem. The receipt files are used by the system to keep track of what software is loaded on your system and what version is installed.

That is why sometimes, when you try to load a lower version of software, the system complains that newer version is installed.

OP
Dominion
Reaction score
Yea that was it actually, I'm going to take a look at the discs today and see about doing a restore today. Hopefully I don't lose everything :p

OP
Dominion
Reaction score
Took a look at the CD's today and they have all the bundled software that it came with like factory including the iwork and office trials :)

Going to restore it while I'm at work today :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.