Many drives as one

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1: 3.2Ghz octo
Hi, I bought a PCI IDE RAID card and I am wondering, If I put 8 hard drives in a sawtooth PowerMac G4 (2x cd/zip drive, 2x logic board IDE port, and 4x in this card I bought) is there A way to partition all eight drives as one? For example, 40Gb+20Gb+60Gb as 1x 120Gb. this would be in Leopard and I am really hoping there is some way because I have a lot of little drives laying around that could become useful as one big one.

Thanks,

-Eddie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
What you're looking for is RAID0, or JBOD.

Either will mean that if ANY disk in your array fails, you lose the lot. This is the disadvantage of either striping or spanning/concatenating.

OP
Familyguy9877
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What you're looking for is RAID0, or JBOD.

Either will mean that if ANY disk in your array fails, you lose the lot. This is the disadvantage of either striping or spanning/concatenating.

so you are saying that if one drive fails since they are all together on the same partition that the partition will be corrupted and all data will be lost? that's a bummer, however I think i would still like to do this for fun.

can you explain how this can be done in OSX leopard, is there an app that can do this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yep, that's exactly what it means. You should be able to, if I recall correctly, to span them in disk utility, if not in your RAID controllers software (which would be preferable for RAID0 implementation).

Now, this will help explain why that is. When you either stripe or span a volume the data is stored across multiple disks. So with a disk gone, there is no way to reconstruct it (since there are is no parity in this type of array).

OP
Familyguy9877
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, that's exactly what it means. You should be able to, if I recall correctly, to span them in disk utility, if not in your RAID controllers software (which would be preferable for RAID0 implementation).

Now, this will help explain why that is. When you either stripe or span a volume the data is stored across multiple disks. So with a disk gone, there is no way to reconstruct it (since there are is no parity in this type of array).

I will right back with the results when i get a chance to do this.

OP
Familyguy9877
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
do you remember how you could do this in disk utility because normally you can only erase/partition one drive at a time

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.