SSD in MacPro 3.1

Reaction score
Hi everybody

I am by no means an advance mac user, but decided it's time to do some upgrades on my MacPro 3.1 (early 2008).

I just upgraded to Mountain Lion and bought myself a new SSD Crucial M4. To fit the 2.5" Crucial SSD in the MacPro hard-disk bays/sleds I bought a Icy Dock (SAS&SATA HDD/SSD Converter).

Starting up the MacPro after installation, OS X finds the disk and opens Disk utility. I can see the disk on the left side in the index, but when I try to format it (erase) I get a message that the disc can't be opened. I tried the same with trying to partition the SSD but with the same result.

Opened the Mac again, but the sled/disk is nicely in bay 2.

any ideas what I am missing?

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

There are two types of Icy Dock. On the newer ones be sure to slide the SSD right into the SATA connectors, and I do mean firmly, prior to closing the case. Just putting them in and closing does not s good enough contact.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, that did help and worked. I assumed that the connector would slide right together once I closed the Icy Dock but apparently it didn't.

Had an other "fight" getting the Icy Dock into the sliding rack of the Mac Pro - it just didn't want to fit all the way in to connect the hard drive. I eventually realised that the little rubber spacers on the rack was not in the centre anymore and that just gave me the millimetre to miss the connection.

Every day I learn a new thing.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh well rosh you know the old saying 'We live and learn .. yet none the wiser grow.'

Keep coming back lots of good information here mate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.