MBP w/ Tiger won't boot / start

TJP

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm sure a lot of questions about this come up, but I have searched all over the internet and still cannot find the fix to my problem.

I have a 17" HD MBP running on Tiger that I have had since the Christmas before last (running on Intel). I am a designer and most of the time I tend to leave it on for a few days, and it can run hot at times. Last night I decided to turn it off to give it a break, and this morning when I woke up and went to turn it on, not much happened. The power/sleep light turns on in the front, and I can get the 'caps lock' and 'num lock' keyboard buttons to light up, but the 'keyboard lighting' cannot be turned on. A startup sound didn't even come about and the screen is black, it never turns on.

I tried the PRAM fix and also the other one with taking off the adaptor, out the battery, holding the power button down for 5 seconds, etc. I also tried putting in the original install disc, only to have it get stuck until I did the 'hold the mouse down at startup'. After trying the PRAM fix the startup sound comes on, but the computer doesn't even sound like it's running, so maybe it only triggered the beep?

I have some big projects I am about to get started, and now was the worst possible timing for this to happen, any any any ideas would be helpful. Maybe it is time to turn in and get a new one? (I don't have Apple Care.) But that is not my first choice, although upgrading would be nice.

Thanks in advance for any help, I have searched far and wide to find people with similar problems but no fix yet! Hope I am not wasting your time,

Best,
T

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try again to boot the machine with your original install DVD media. If the machine boots using the DVD, run the Apple Hardware Test (AHT) from your install DVD 1.

Refer to the following Apple KB article: Link

You've already tried to reset the PRAM and NVRAM, however, it might be a good idea to try again. Make sure you're doing it correctly. See this Apple KB article: Link

If nothing seems to work, see this article by Apple: Link

Post back and let us know.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.