Printer Sharing - So close

F

FooAtari

Ok I have a HP Deskjet 3940 connected via USB to a XP SP2 PC with the TCPIP Print Server service running.

I have a MacBook running OS 10.4.8. Have installed hpijs drivers.

Both are connected wirelessly to a Netgear router.

I have been able to setup shared folders between both.

After a lot of messing about I appear to be getting close to this working. I have setup printing on the mac via IPP (using hpijs Deskjet 3840 driver, which apparantly works with 3940), the mac appears to see the printer and sends the print job to it. The job then appears in the print queue on the PC and the printer goes through the startup motions of moving the print head and whatever else it does. But then it stops, nothing else happens, and the status just stays as "printing"

Argh! Anyone know what would cause this. Is it the drivers? If there is a better way to do this please suggest it. But I'm so close to printing surely there is to fix this.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Try using a post script driver. This could be trial and error but the problem with printer installers is they don't give you the option of what driver to use. I've only had success printing to a windows shared printer using post script drivers.

Reaction score
FooAtari said:
Ok I have a HP Deskjet 3940 connected via USB to a XP SP2 PC with the TCPIP Print Server service running.

I have a MacBook running OS 10.4.8. Have installed hpijs drivers.

Both are connected wirelessly to a Netgear router.

I have been able to setup shared folders between both.

After a lot of messing about I appear to be getting close to this working. I have setup printing on the mac via IPP (using hpijs Deskjet 3840 driver, which apparantly works with 3940), the mac appears to see the printer and sends the print job to it. The job then appears in the print queue on the PC and the printer goes through the startup motions of moving the print head and whatever else it does. But then it stops, nothing else happens, and the status just stays as "printing"

Argh! Anyone know what would cause this. Is it the drivers? If there is a better way to do this please suggest it. But I'm so close to printing surely there is to fix this.

Thanks

G'day FooAtari,

I've seen this problem on these forums before and have experienced it first hand myself.

...When I was trying to print from my iMac to a printer connected to my PC, I had all sorts of weird issues that I couldn't fix, no matter what....

In the end I connected the printer to my iMac and if I was printing from my PC - it just worked pretty much first go!

http://www.mac-connect.com/direct_printing.php

http://www.mac-connect.com/printer_sharing_win.php

:)

OP
F

FooAtari

I would pulse but the printer is next to the pc, and the MacBook doesnt have a permanent home.

It seems tp be the driver that is cuasing the problem, when i select other i just get a print error straigt away. I tried the 3945 driver and the same thing happens, the printer comes to life but stops before actually printing.

I tried installig drivers from HP, but the do not show up in the list of available printers, where are drivers installed to on the in OS X, any particular place?

Also i'm not sure if im using a postscript driver or not, are they preinstalled?

Thanks
------
I have now tried printing via Samba and Windows Printing and the same thing happens everytime. It must be the drivers. So how do I go about getting a postscript driver to try.

Thanks again :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Try Generic Post Script first. Then look for an open source HP driver like Gimp Print or Foo Matic. Like I said,..trial and error.

OP
F

FooAtari

MacsWork said:
Try Generic Post Script first. Then look for an open source HP driver like Gimp Print or Foo Matic. Like I said,..trial and error.

I have no problems with trial and error. Just wasnt really sure what I was looking for. Thanks

OP
F

FooAtari

I think I hv found a driver but still no difference.

What I have noticed though is that the size in the windows print queue always seems to show 64.0Kb/whatever the document size is. It like its not receiving the full document, which mght explain why the print doesnt actually start....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.