Infected with a virus !!

Reaction score
Hallo Peeps

Not the OSX drives but my XP drive (bootcamp) is infected with a major pain in the PATOOT virus

I had Spydoctor installed and it still slipped through, I've had them b4 but got rid of them ez enough but this one has disabled the cmd function, the task manager and I cant open any folders or drives so manual removal in XP is not an option :Shouting:

Spydoctor when run finds nothing....which is weird....and its up to date too...not good :(

so my plan is to either create a new XP system with XP and run an anti-virus program from there and immunize the infected XP drive

or

try and hunt down the viruses in OSX with ClamXav and kill them from there

ClamXav is running now and it has found some viruses including the Zlob virus which I think is the culprit but it has been running for 2hrs and is painfully slow, like 30secs for one big file (50mb) and obviously this is built for OSX so it may not be able to identify all the viruses on the XP drive

my problem is I cant modify the XP drive from OSX as its read only, I'm hoping there is a way to do this. I can see them but cant put them in the bin

so really looking for any suggestions which may work better.

ANybody know how to access/modify the XP drive ie turn privalages to read and write

hope so coz this is a nightmare :Oops:

thanks in advance

Simon

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hallo Peeps

Not the OSX drives but my XP drive (bootcamp) is infected with a major pain in the PATOOT virus

I had Spydoctor installed and it still slipped through, I've had them b4 but got rid of them ez enough but this one has disabled the cmd function, the task manager and I cant open any folders or drives so manual removal in XP is not an option :Shouting:

Spydoctor when run finds nothing....which is weird....and its up to date too...not good :(

That's because Spydoctor is an Anti-spyware application. If you have a virus, you'll need an anti-virus product to remove it. I'd recommend AVG Anti Virus Free Edition.

so my plan is to either create a new XP system with XP and run an anti-virus program from there and immunize the infected XP drive

or

try and hunt down the viruses in OSX with ClamXav and kill them from there

ClamXav is running now and it has found some viruses including the Zlob virus which I think is the culprit but it has been running for 2hrs and is painfully slow, like 30secs for one big file (50mb) and obviously this is built for OSX so it may not be able to identify all the viruses on the XP drive

my problem is I cant modify the XP drive from OSX as its read only, I'm hoping there is a way to do this. I can see them but cant put them in the bin

By default, OS X can only read NTFS partitions, it can not write to them without a third party product like Paragon NTFS for Mac.

so really looking for any suggestions which may work better.

ANybody know how to access/modify the XP drive ie turn privalages to read and write

hope so coz this is a nightmare :Oops:

thanks in advance

Simon

I would recommend putting AVG Anti Virus on a flash drive. Then, boot your Windows partition in safe mode, install AVG and let it scan your drive directly after installation. Otherwise, delete your XP partition and restore it from backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
AVG is the go with version 8 not long released.

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Mhz, added superdrive and 320gb HD
+1 for AVG. I run it on all the PC's I look after and haven't had a virus problem in 4 years.

If you have identified the virus, have you tried finding a removal tool from Symantech?
Normally executable files so no cmd line needed.

Reaction score
Gee a windows product with a virus! Who would have thunk??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.