How to create web forms - newbie

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a begginer in writing websites.
How do I create a web form?
I am using iWeb and Textedit on Mac.
Do I need other software?
Can anyone point me where I may learn to make a webform?
Thanks in advance.
-Rob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Well the important question is what language are you using for handling the form before we can point you to too much else. It also depends a bit on what it is you want to do with the form. Your server will also determine what languages you can use, depending on the hosting provider.

PHP, ASP, ASP.Net, Javascript, Perl, etc are all possible options.

Reaction score
you can either write all of the forum code yourself, all you can do what most people do which is download a pre-Made script that you just install on your server. One of the best forum scripts is vbulletin ( which is what this forum uses) but there is also the very popular phpbb which is totally free.

OP
F
Reaction score
PHP, ASP, etc?

Please pardon my beginner question:
What are PHP, ASP, Perl etc?
Are they a programing languege used in website writing?
What do I need to learn them? use them?
Thank you so much for your help.

-Robert

Well the important question is what language are you using for handling the form before we can point you to too much else. It also depends a bit on what it is you want to do with the form. Your server will also determine what languages you can use, depending on the hosting provider.

PHP, ASP, ASP.Net, Javascript, Perl, etc are all possible options.

OP
F
Reaction score
Webform

Sorry if I made it confusing.
I needed to make webform, not web forum.
Is there example script of webforms on the internet that I can download and modify/use? What software do I need to work with it?

you can either write all of the forum code yourself, all you can do what most people do which is download a pre-Made script that you just install on your server. One of the best forum scripts is vbulletin ( which is what this forum uses) but there is also the very popular phpbb which is totally free.

OP
F
Reaction score
Appnitro

It looks like a great service!
How long have you use them?
Is it reliable? Any hidden fees? Additional cost?
Anyone else have any experience with Appnitro?
Reviews? Concerns?
Thanks.

-fudgewang (very newbie)

I take the lazy way out and use http://www.appnitro.com/. You have to install the software and set up a MySQL database with it. It works pretty snazzy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Please pardon my beginner question:
What are PHP, ASP, Perl etc?
Are they a programing languege used in website writing?
What do I need to learn them? use them?

-Robert

It depends what you are trying to do with the form. PHP, ASP, etc are programming/scripting languages that will allow you to do more complicated things than HTML lets you do by itself. HTML is what the page itself is written in.

Javascript can do a bunch of things, but if you want to email the form, save the form to a database, or other things then you need to look at one of the other languages to process the form. Basically, HTML will make the form look the way you want (textboxes, dropdown lists, checkboxes, etc), even if you are using a drag-and-drop interface, hidden in the background the program is putting HTML on the page to create those fields.

However, once you have the fields on a page, you need to tell the page/webserver what to do when a user clicks on the Submit button or whatever you add. That's where the PHP/ASP comes in.

Reaction score
It looks like a great service!
How long have you use them?
Is it reliable? Any hidden fees? Additional cost?
Anyone else have any experience with Appnitro?
Reviews? Concerns?
Thanks.

-fudgewang (very newbie)

I bought the software around December 07. I installed it on my Win 03 server with MySQL and have had no problems with it. No hidden fees or additional costs.

I don't mean this to be advertising. I use the forms on https://elimedesign.com/formmaker/view.php?id=2 and http://www.elimehostingcompany.com/hostingsignup.php.

Minor issue is that it doesn't work 100% in admin mode with Safari so I have to use Firefox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16gz, 2gb RAM || 20" iMac, 2.4gz, 2gb RAM
Maybe a bit offtopic, but this thread is saying its had over a THOUSAND views?!

900 more than most of the others..

Im confused :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4
Note the original posting date is over a year ago.

Every spambot that wanders through probably hits it, or may have at some point, aside from the fact that the subject, itself, is one many folks specifically subscribe to forums like this to get help with.

I know when I was having form issues, I hammered a few different forums looking for answers. ( the 'search' feature is proof there is a God )

I ended up embedding php code in my dreamweaver docs for form handling. Works like a charm..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.