iMac screen randomly goes black (to sleep?)

Reaction score
Ok this is getting very odd.

I have a white Intel 20" iMac and the screen goes black sometimes quite frequently. The machine continues going so if we're watching videos we can still hear it however the only way to 'wake it up' is to put it to sleep and turn on again.

Here comes the really odd thing. This was happening before we replaced the hard drive but only as far as we can tell under one user account! Since then we've had a new drive and a clean install (no restore) and it has crept up again, but so far only under one account.

It's running snow leopard. I've played around with the energy and screen saver settings but have not found anything that solves this...

Any pointers or ideas?
Thanks in advance

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If it's only happening under one account and not the others, then it may be something unique to that account. Take a close look at the startup items for the account and login items. Compare the good account to the one that's acting up in order to isolate the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Check under System Preferences > Energy Saver and see how long you have it set to put the Display to Sleep.

Hope this helps
- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.