Review: V-Moda Vibe Duo iPhone Headset

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hey guys!

vibe-duo6.jpg

As you iPhone owners probably already know, the headset Apple includes with the device is pretty decent and very useful - but the sound quality is just not that great. Other headphones you have may sound better, but don't offer the handy microphone / clicker functionality of the original.

Enter V-Moda. Their flagship Vibe Duo earbuds for the iPhone seem to be the ideal replacement for Apple's stock 'phones... so here's my impressions after having them for a few weeks.

What's in the box
The Duo's are in-ear headphones that are designed to block outside noise and sit just inside your ear canal. They feature an attractive all-metal enclosure and a sturdy fabric-shielded cable. Apart from "Gunmetal Rouge" (pictured), V-Moda also offer black and chrome versions of the Duos. The main selling point for iPhone users is the built-in mic / clicker that lets you answer calls and skip tracks just like you can with Apple's headset.

vibe-duo1.jpg

V-Moda includes a cloth carrying pouch as well as a fit kit including a total of 6 clear and black pairs of ear pieces. This is a important as in-ear headphones only "work" if they fit tightly inside your ear.

Build Quality
The Duos feel extremely solid and well put together. The earbuds are slightly heavier than expected due to the metal enclosure, but sit quite comfortably in your ears. The cable is also thicker than that of most other earbuds and the 3,5mm headphone plug is also very sturdy.
vibe-duo3.jpg

In fact - the only aspect of durability I was worried about was the iPhone itself: The Duo's audio plug is a perfect fit for first generation iPhones, but relatively long. I usually carry my iPhone in my jeans pocket and initially was a bit worried that the additional length of the Duo's metal plug might be cause pressure on the iPhone's audio jack if I sit down. It seems to be fine however, but it's something to bear in mind the first time you try these out.

Other Features
The cable features a clip that you can use to prevent the weight of the cable and mic / clicker from pulling the earbuds out of your ears. It will also help to minimize microphonics (rustling noise caused by the cable that is common for in-ear style earbuds).

Sound Quality
The Duos have a fairly bass-heavy sound to them, that also gives you a good taste of mids. The higher ranges seem a little underdeveloped though. So if you're into Rock, Pop or Electro, they will sound really good. If you're more into Classical, or female vocalists the Duos still sound much better than the stock earbuds, but might not be an ideal match for these cans.
vibe-duo5.jpg

Having said that: Prices for more detailed in-ear headphones are easily 2-3 times that of the Duos, so bear that in mind as well. Calls sounded great and people on the other end said my voice also sounded very clear. Since the Duos block out ambient noise, it's a lot easier to hear the other person, even if you're out and in a noisy area.

In-ears are also great for public transport, as they block out the noisy bus / train / helicopter you take to work / school.

Overall
The V-Mode Vibe Duo in-ear headphones look great, sound pretty good and are a very practical replacement for the stock headphones. Available at Amazon for $99 they are also excellent value for your money. Recommended.

Pros

+ Great sound

+ Remote / mic clicker

+ Nice robust industrial look & feel

+ Cable feels very robust

Cons

- Bass a little overwhelming for some genres

- Headphone plug fairly long

If you guys have any other questions or want to see more pics, just let me know!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.6GHZ, 8Gig iPhone, 160Gig iPod Classic, 16Gig 3G iPhone Black
I bought these back in february for use with my 2G iPhone. They worked great until July, when they started to short out because if a problem with the line. VModa Has a great warranty, and sent me a replacement right away. On apples web reviews, a lot of other people were reporting my same problem. Its just a symptom of the straight/inline jack. It just folds and messes up the cable too easily

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.