ibook g3 vs powerbook g4

F

fdb

hey, I'm looking to buy my first mac laptop to use for wireless browsing, dreamweaver and photoshop. I am considering a ibook G3 800 mghtz w/ 384 MB RAM. How would this stack up next to a powerbook G4 550 w/ 768 MB ram? Similar? Any and all opinions welcome/appreciated.

OP
K

kingcrowing2

Well, i'm pretty sure there are no Powerbook G3 800MHz, unless it's an upgrade card, so it's hard to compare, but a G4 550 Tibook would do all that you could want it to do, and photoshop does perform a lot better with a G4

OP
F

fdb

kingcrowing2 said:
Well, i'm pretty sure there are no Powerbook G3 800MHz, unless it's an upgrade card, so it's hard to compare, but a G4 550 Tibook would do all that you could want it to do, and photoshop does perform a lot better with a G4
sorry i meant an ibook g3...i just edited the post. does this change your opinion? thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
fdb said:
hey, I'm looking to buy my first mac laptop to use for wireless browsing, dreamweaver and photoshop. I am considering a powerbook G3 800 mghtz w/ 384 MB RAM. How would this stack up next to a powerbook G4 550 w/ 768 MB ram? Similar? Any and all opinions welcome/appreciated.

For most tasks, the G3 will perform significantly better (although I would suggest upgrading the RAM, which isn't terribly expensive). The main difference between the G3 and G4 processors is the G4's ability to utilize AltiVec, which certain applications are optimized for. The two machines would be closer in performance when running AltiVec-optimized applications or tasks, but for most everyday use, the G3 would be the better performer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.