Office 2008 Update wouldn't install

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Hi All,

I have MS Office 2008 installed on my Macbook. It's Version 12.1.0. I just downloaded version 12.1.1. to install and when it asked what volume to install to, I selected Macintosh HD, where MS Office 2008 is installed in my Apps folder. It rejected that selection saying there was no software on that volume to update to...

I tried downloading it using my Word 2008 Help>Check for updates and also went to the Apple site and tried that - I had successful downloads both times, but with the same result both times.

What's up, anyone have an idea how to fix it so I can install the update?

Thanks, Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I tried updating and it completely froze my MacBook Pro. This was the last straw for me. I removed Office and I will not be going back. My machine has froze twice in the last 6 months and both times I was trying to run Office 2008. Sorry for the rant, but I wanted to let you know you are not the only person having issues with this update!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To Noels:

Have you by chance used "Monolingual" or any other utility which either removes non English languages or non Intel code?

After using Monolingual I could not install the 12.1.1 update and would receive a similar error as you. The very nice Office 2008 MVP folks at the MS site have a "sticky" posted about the same thing.

The only solution they offered me was to completely uninstall Office 2008, reinstall, and then download and attempt the update once more. It worked. Definitely a pain. I no longer use Monolingual because of all the work it caused me.

Regards.

OP
Noels
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To Noels:

Have you by chance used "Monolingual" or any other utility which either removes non English languages or non Intel code?

After using Monolingual I could not install the 12.1.1 update and would receive a similar error as you. The very nice Office 2008 MVP folks at the MS site have a "sticky" posted about the same thing.

The only solution they offered me was to completely uninstall Office 2008, reinstall, and then download and attempt the update once more. It worked. Definitely a pain. I no longer use Monolingual because of all the work it caused me.

Regards.

chscag,

Now that you mention it, I remember this being discussed before by you and one or two others. Matter of a fact, I passed on the caution to some other folks, too. I guess I had a Senior Moment when it came to doing it myself.

Thanks for the memories :) :)

Noel

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
:D You might also be interested in knowing that MS just today posted update 12.1.2 for Office 2008. That'll keep you busy for awhile longer.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh Noels those senior moments! The joys of growing old eh?

OP
Noels
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Harry, you're right about that!! I really had a bigger Senior moment than that today - one for the record books, but I'll save that for a later time.

chscag, Thanks for the update on the update...

I did uninstall Office 2008 and re-installed it and added the SP1 update (12.1.0). It's giving me a trial to add 12.1.1. The installer stalls, so I'm going to try it again, but not today. Then I'll go for the 12.2.2... BTW, I also uninstalled Monolingual!

Whoa, I'm getting tired of being in The Office :)

Noel

OP
Noels
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Harry,

I installed both 12.1.1 and 12.1.2 earlier today and didn't have any problems with either one. I think it didn't install last night because I had Word running.

I hope they wait a while to put out 12.1.3 :)

noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.