Remote Desktop like application suggestions?

Reaction score
So I have finally convinced my parents who live across the country to switch to a mac. Now I have the task of setting up their new computer and teaching them how to use it from across the country. I need a remote desktop program and am looking for suggestions. I have used Apple's Remote Desktop before and it does everything I want. However it is probably overkill and hence more money then I was hoping to spend. Here are the few functions I will need:

1. Ability to connect via the internet.
  2. Ability to take control of their computer and install programs, adjust system preferences, manage users, etc.
  3. Ability for them to see on the screen what I am doing (so that I can use this to teach them things).

I plan on setting up two user accounts on the computer. The last remote desktop version I used was 2.0 and it would loose its connection when you switched users (fast switch). I know from a technical stand point that there is probably no way around that but if there is that would be sweet.

Any suggestions on what software I should buy. I don't need any more functionality then I have listed so I am hoping to save some money by not buying the "best' software and rather buying software that will fulfill my needs.

Reaction score
You do not need to purchase anything. OS X Tiger has Apple Remote Desktop included. It is only the Apple Remote client software that costs money. However you can download Chicken of the VNC (Free) and use that as the client software. This will enable you to do all the things you mentioned.

So on your Parent's mac turn on Apple remote desktop and if you are using OS X firewall make sure you open the port (TCP 5900) If your parents are using a broadband router make sure you port forward TCP port 5900 to the correct IP the Mac is using.

OP
J
Reaction score
:( Did work

So on your Parent's mac turn on Apple remote desktop and if you are using OS X firewall make sure you open the port (TCP 5900) If your parents are using a broadband router make sure you port forward TCP port 5900 to the correct IP the Mac is using.

These networking things never go as smooth as one would wish. Here is what I have done:

On my computer:
1) Opened up port 5900 on my router.
2) Installed Chicken of the VNC.
3) I am not using OS X Firewall or any other firewall.

On my parents computer:
1) Opened up port 5900 on their router.
2) Turned on Apple Remote Desktop.
3) Had my parents go to dnsstuff.com and tell me their IP.

With Chicken of the VNC:
1) went to new connection
2) entered my parents IP address and hit connect

I immediately received a "Connection Terminated Authentication Failed" msg.

My parents account on the iMac does not have a password on it and so I left that blank in the connection settings of Chicken of the VNC.

I did not see anywhere in Chicken of the VNC to enter the account name on my parents iMac. Could this be a problem?

The "Connection Terminated Authentication Failed" msg pops up right away. So quickly it makes me feel like the problem is on my end but that may not be the case.

Any suggestions or troubleshooting ideas are welcome. Thanks for the help.
Jed

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
On your parents machine, have them open Sharing in System Preferences. Click on Apple Remote Desktop, Click on Access Privileges, Put a Check by VNC users may take control of screen with Password" and give it a password. You put that password in the Chicken of the VNC. I did that and it worked great here. Before it did exactly what yours is doing.

OP
J
Reaction score
On your parents machine, have them open Sharing in System Preferences. Click on Apple Remote Desktop, Click on Access Privileges, Put a Check by VNC users may take control of screen with Password" and give it a password. You put that password in the Chicken of the VNC. I did that and it worked great here. Before it did exactly what yours is doing.

Sweet! It is working and I think, I repeat I "THINK", this will make my life easier. We will see. Maybe I will just tell them to post to Mac-Forums. You guys will have a blast with that :) . "What do you mean double click"

Thanks again,
Jed

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.