• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Pioneer Bluray for Mac Pro

Reaction score
Hi there,
I want to buy a Pioneer Bluray 205BK for my Mac Pro, but am a little confused as to why there seem to be Mac and PC version of the drive with the Mac versions being more expensive. Does anyone know what the differences are? The Mac compatible drives come with Internal SATA kit, cables and installation guide. Is it still possible to get the PC version and buy the cables separately? Would anyone know what cables I would need to get? Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might want to check to see if the firmware version for the Mac drive is different than that of the drive for the PC. If that's so, a PC drive may not work in your Mac Pro.

OP
V
Reaction score
The thing is.. Pioneer's website only has one model.
The mac version seems to be sold by mac resellers which leads me to think that they are selling the so called pc version with cables needed to connect it to macs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That might be true. I've seen hard drives advertised as "for the Mac" which turned out to be just an ordinary hard drive. The "for the Mac" gives them an opportunity to charge more. :\

Something else to keep in mind about Blue Ray though... is that if you intend to use it in OS X, your choices are rather limited. Also, you might be interested in this BR player which purports it's for the Mac Pro: LINK A bit pricey at $199 but it looks like a nice unit. Supposedly will work with Final Cut Studio (playback).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Same answer as provided on MacTalk Australia forums Vampii.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies. The MCE drive certainly looks like a good unit. Their Australian reseller is macfixit but it doesn't look like macfixit has stock. Don't really want to buy from the US because that will mean additional postage costs and a delay of getting it here. The pioneer 205BK goes quite cheaply here and a google search shows that many people are using it on their macs, if i could find out how it was hooked it up and what cables were needed that would be great

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.