Software Questions from a potential Switcher

A

AMacSoon

Hi there :)

I am currently lurking into a world without windows and gates :)

I have a few questions (mainly regarding software alternatives) ... maybe someone can enlighten me and make my decision easier :)

Here is what I want to do with a mac:

Digital Photo manipulation and management (more than 50.000 Images) - Seems no Problem, as Adobe Software exists on Mac (or even originates from it ? :)

Programming: Lot's of Web-Programming (Mainly PHP and Java). I also need a database, web-server and IDE. As I understand, Mac OS X is "somehow" based on unix. Anyone knows if PHP / Apache / mySQL will work under Mac OS X. Any good recomendations for a nice IDE (no WYSIWYG - just a plain text coding tool with some goodies like Syntax Highlighting)

Mobile Devices / Sync : I believe, that iPod will work with a Mac :) How about cell phones and synchonisation of Calendar, Contacts and Tasks. Any recommendations for a good and full featured PIM on Mac OS X ? I currently own a Nokia N90.

Finally ... I believe that there are enough alternatives for Office (Word-Processing, Spreadsheet) ... but which ones ... aside from Star-Office?

Thanx,

Christian

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
As far as Photos, iPhoto comes with any new Mac you purchase as part of the iLife Suite. There is all the Adobe stuff that is on the PC and yes, Adobe was first out on the early Macs back in the mid 80's.

I will leave a some of the PHP and MySQL to someone who has worked with them on the Mac, but Apache comes with OSX. There are quite a few Web desiners here who can help you with the other part of your question.

Of course the iPod works with OSX as well as most any Camera, Scanner or Printer. As far as PDA's and syncing, there are many that work. I have an iPaq and it works fine as long as you get one of at least two after market apps. I can sync it with everything just like on the PC. I will leave the recomendation of a good PIM to some one else. I just use a basic Nokia phone and not with any of my computers.

For Word Processing and Spreadsheets, ETC, you can get Microsoft Office for the Mac, Open Office from Sun for FREE, Neo Office which is a port of Open Office but more like an OSX Application, Apples own iWork is very nice but still needs a Spreadsheet, but Word Processing and Presentations are included and are compatible with Office. There are others but those are the Major players.

For all you want to do, I am sure you will be able to find what you need for the Mac and OSX.

Hope this helps you out somewhat.

Reaction score
OS X comes with a program called iSync that lets you sync various mobile devices. Apple recently added the Nokia N90 as a compatible device, see here. I have a N70 and can sync my contacts with apple's "Adress Book" application (which has full support for multiple phone numbers and email addresses per contact) and sync my calendar and tasks with apple's iCal application. I do this all over bluetooth which took hardly any effort to set up.

Reaction score
dtravis7 said:
As far as Photos, iPhoto comes with any new Mac you purchase as part of the iLife Suite. There is all the Adobe stuff that is on the PC and yes, Adobe was first out on the early Macs back in the mid 80's.

I will leave a some of the PHP and MySQL to someone who has worked with them on the Mac, but Apache comes with OSX. There are quite a few Web desiners here who can help you with the other part of your question.

Of course the iPod works with OSX as well as most any Camera, Scanner or Printer. As far as PDA's and syncing, there are many that work. I have an iPaq and it works fine as long as you get one of at least two after market apps. I can sync it with everything just like on the PC. I will leave the recomendation of a good PIM to some one else. I just use a basic Nokia phone and not with any of my computers.

For Word Processing and Spreadsheets, ETC, you can get Microsoft Office for the Mac, Open Office from Sun for FREE, Neo Office which is a port of Open Office but more like an OSX Application, Apples own iWork is very nice but still needs a Spreadsheet, but Word Processing and Presentations are included and are compatible with Office. There are others but those are the Major players.

For all you want to do, I am sure you will be able to find what you need for the Mac and OSX.

Hope this helps you out somewhat.

To what program does your iPAQ sync to? I have Entourage and would like to sync my Pocket PC to that....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
Programming: Lot's of Web-Programming (Mainly PHP and Java). I also need a database, web-server and IDE. As I understand, Mac OS X is "somehow" based on unix. Anyone knows if PHP / Apache / mySQL will work under Mac OS X. Any good recomendations for a nice IDE (no WYSIWYG - just a plain text coding tool with some goodies like Syntax Highlighting)

Well OSX comes packed/preinstalled with Apache so that isn't a problem.

I am currently lurking into a world without windows and gates

The only fear you have is the idea that Gates could bust through your door at 3 in the morning and grill you over not having a PC. :D

OP
M

MacMiniNewbie

Hey MacSoon...

I just switched this past week. Well, not exactly switched, but "incremented" to include a Mac Mini. I'm using it in my home theatre setup replacing a really old crappy Win-based laptop that had the screen blow out a few years back.

The mini (I got the duo core) is a fascinating little box. I've spent probably 30 hours with it over the last few days, and find it enjoyable to use although I'm interface-challenged from my windows life.

I find some of the OSX apps to be kind of lame, but that's true for both platforms... it's just that there's so much more software for windows that you blow by all the stupid stuff. With a Mac, there's much less software so the stupid stuff sort of stands out.

One recommendation, I highly recommend Macaroni... available at download.com. Last night, it found a way to free up 3Gb of space.

My advice for your word processing/spreadsheet is to buy Microsoft's for Mac... it will give you the highest industry compatability. It's not cheap, but isn't for windows either (Last time i checked on windows it was around $350).

MySQL is available as well, so you would be in luck there coupled with Apache.

Home you make the increment :)

OP
L

lil

Not wishing to duplicate what others have said... Apache is the default web server for Mac OS X. It's version 1.3, but you can upgrade it to Apache 2.0 if you want. As for PHP and MySQL—it's all available for the Mac and easy to setup.

TextWrangler is a nice text editor with syntax highlighting for a nuber of coding languages too.

Mac OS X is indeed built on UNIX, it sits on top of the MACH microkernel, and on top of that you have Apple's own BSD distro called Darwin (it's never called that when related to Mac OS X, but Darwin is Apple's opensource BSD spin off thing) which is based on FreeBSD. On top of that you have all the other APIs including Carbon and Cocoa which provide the Aqua user interface, with the Finder being Apple's proprietary window server. X11 can also be installed for apps that use X11 as their window server such as OpenOffice.org, GIMP, FontForge etc.

Vicky

OP
A

AMacSoon

MacMiniNewbie said:
My advice for your word processing/spreadsheet is to buy Microsoft's for Mac... it will give you the highest industry compatability. It's not cheap, but isn't for windows either (Last time i checked on windows it was around $350).

I have a legal Version of it for Windowze .. maybe I can do a cross-grade (or plattform change). Adobe offers it for their apps ... I'll check.

MacMiniNewbie said:
MySQL is available as well, so you would be in luck there coupled with Apache.

Even the mySQL tools (Query) are available as universal binaries ... great!

MacMiniNewbie said:
Home you make the increment :)

I did it! Yes! I order my mac Mini (2.66 GHz, Core Duo, 100 GB HD and 2 GB RAM yesterday evening!

OP
A

AMacSoon

Thanx to all for making my decision easy!

Just as stated above, Gates has one customer less ... and Steve one more. My Mac Mini should arrive within the next week. Now I am looking for a good 16:9 LCD screen for it ... I am used to work with high resolution (currently 1920 x 1200 on a 17,4") ... I'll try to find a LCD with DVI for use with my forthcoming little cookie box :)

I can't wait! :)

I a world without walls and fences ... :mac:

OP
A

AMacSoon

Jabjabs said:
The only fear you have is the idea that Gates could bust through your door at 3 in the morning and grill you over not having a PC. :D

I still have one ... but it only acts as a digital TV recorder with 2 TB as storage. I just run's 24/7 and records every episode of CSI and Star Trek :)

But for the real work, I'll use my forthcoming mac mini :)

OP
S

simongarfunk

AMacSoon said:
Thanx to all for making my decision easy!

Just as stated above, Gates has one customer less ... and Steve one more. My Mac Mini should arrive within the next week. Now I am looking for a good 16:9 LCD screen for it ... I am used to work with high resolution (currently 1920 x 1200 on a 17,4") ... I'll try to find a LCD with DVI for use with my forthcoming little cookie box :)

I can't wait! :)

I a world without walls and fences ... :mac:

Dont forget. With bootcamp released you can still use Windows XP, just incase you feel like gaming or using your old windows software.

Enjoy the Mac.. Peace, Jimbo :batman:

Reaction score
Try "Thinkfree" for your office needs...

It gives you 1gb of storage on line, spreadsheet and word processor look just like excel & word, only without the bells & whistles that make them complicated and unnecesary. and it's free.

Reaction score
farmcock said:
It gives you 1gb of storage on line, spreadsheet and word processor look just like excel & word, only without the bells & whistles that make them complicated and unnecesary. and it's free.
link?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.