External speakers won't work

Reaction score
I just hooked up a hand down Mac Mini (2009) from my daughter and the external speakers I used for a pc don't work.
If I pull the speaker wire out of the mini I can hear hum come from the speakers just before it's entirely out. So I'm pretty sure it's not the speakers.
Any suggestions. Thx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
Open System Preferences and select Sound, then click the Output tab and make sure the Mini is routing the sound to the appropriate port.

OP
C
Reaction score
Done. Works. Thanks.

Now for a much bigger issue: My Mini is very slow. Whether it is to start-up or switching from one app to another, or surfing the internet, it moves slow.
My daughter removed almost all her stuff (programs, mail, pics, music etc.). I do have a fairly old router, keyboard and mouse though (?). I'm running Leopard, do you think an upgrade to say Mountain Lion will improve speed performance.
I have an IPhone 4S and a new IPad, both are much faster. Are there any suggestions on how I can get this 2009 Mini up to speed?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
How much RAM and what hard drive are in the Mini? If you aren't sure, click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen and select About This Mac. You'll see the Processor and Memory listed on the first screen.Let us know what you see there.

Now click System Report... and on the next screen click Serial-ATA in the column on the left. Let us know the Capacity, Rotational Rate and what is listed as Available.of the hard drive.

You should also check out Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on Apple's Support pages.

No need to spend money if there is a simple, free fix.

OP
C
Reaction score
slow Mac Mini

How much RAM and what hard drive are in the Mini? If you aren't sure, click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen and select About This Mac. You'll see the Processor and Memory listed on the first screen.Let us know what you see there.

Now click System Report... and on the next screen click Serial-ATA in the column on the left. Let us know the Capacity, Rotational Rate and what is listed as Available.of the hard drive.

You should also check out Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on Apple's Support pages.

No need to spend money if there is a simple, free fix.

Great suggestion Lightcraftsman. I went to Apple support and followed instructions for the SLEEP/WAKE, RESTART, SHUTDOWN approach. It amazingly worked. I am up to speed. Thanks, It saved me a diagnostic fee at the minimum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.