Hard drive activity when booting up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Hey all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I have noticed for over a year now that when I boot up my first gen MacBook Pro, The hard drive writes around a gig of something before it settles and the laptop runs at full speed.

I was just wondering was this A) normal and B) what is it writing? I don't have any programs apart from the standard default ones start up so it's not like I have skype, mail and a whole pile of other apps fighting to use the hard drive when the laptop boots up.

Slightly confused just, and if anyone knows what this is and how to remedy it and also put me in the clear as to why a gig of info has to be written by the drive I would be very greatfull.

Mel
x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'm curious how you know it's writing and not reading?

OP
melmation
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
after noticing the insanely long hard drive activity I now open activity monitor during or after the initial start up and go to the hard disk activity section and it shows me what has been read and written.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.