iMAC keyboard issues

Reaction score
Hi, don't know if all began when I accidentally poured something in keys W and E, (I use to eat beside my iMAC...yes...I know...) I cleaned those keys up, then later on I realised when I pressed those keys -also S and D- the keyboard acted strangely, ie. when I pressed W, then on the screen I could read WE, when I pressed E, I read EW, same for the S key (SD), and key D (DS), it is like they were connected somehow.

I watched a couple of YT video how to clean the keyboard, ok I followed the steps by taking out the little key and used a cleaner wiping all around the base, but it got worse now, for some reason all that section seems in troubles, from very top all down the bottom, by 2 keys -they seem they are connected each other- because right bright and desktop keys don't work anymore, then either
2 and 3
w and e
s and d
x and c

are not working anymore, the only that works strangely is the number 3, but it appears even if I press key 2, even if I don't press any keys the keyboard type by itself 33333333333333333333333333333333333...

Don't know if I can detach the top of the entire keyboard in order to take out the grey plastic that is behind each key so I could take this grey pad out and clean up those section of the keyboard, but don't know if it is possible, or should I only stick to clean the keys by taking out one by one as I did?, but can't go further due you will find the grey plastic and that's all, it is very hard to clean up behind it.

Quite obvious I'm typing this message using another keyboard otherwise doing this by using the damaged keyboard would be a nightmare, any help? does it mean my iMAC keyboard died? :\ please help, thanks

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To be honest, I wouldn't fool with it anymore. You can buy a brand new wired keyboard for $49. OWC (Mac Sales) sells used wired and wireless Apple keyboards that are fully warranted by them. Also the prices are much less than retail.

OP
G
Reaction score
To be honest, I wouldn't fool with it anymore. You can buy a brand new wired keyboard for $49. OWC (Mac Sales) sells used wired and wireless Apple keyboards that are fully warranted by them. Also the prices are much less than retail.

thanks Chscag, I was due to start checking prices this morning, but tried the keyboard once more time and for those technological's miracles the keyboard is now working well again, the only disease -for the moment- was a little leg of the F3 key support, so its quite loose now but I don't use that key much, so in general I'm very happy, hope keyboard carries on working well, it looks that whatever got in between the keys it's dry now. Thanks for your reply and I'll take that for sure next time I have same issue with this keyboard....
yes, typing all this message with keyboard now... ;D

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.