LCD staying active when sleeping?

Reaction score
Hello-

After taking the latest Apple update for my mid-2007 MBP a week or two ago, I notice the LCD never turns off anymore...when I wake up, the backlight is off, but bright ambient light (aka sunlight) clearly shows the LCD is not off, and is displaying the screen, just without the backlight.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks.

-TM

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
After taking the latest Apple update for my mid-2007 MBP a week or two ago, I notice the LCD never turns off anymore...when I wake up, the backlight is off, but bright ambient light (aka sunlight) clearly shows the LCD is not off, and is displaying the screen, just without the backlight.

From what I'm reading...you haven't done enough testing. You mentioned that:

- the "LCD never turns off anymore"...since when you "wake up" the computer...you can see things on the display.

This is not an uncommon situation. The backlight or inverter on laptop displays can go bad...and this is the situation that results.

The title of this thread says..."LCD staying active when sleeping". From what you've written...this is not the situation. You mentioned that you can see things on the display in bright sunlight when the computer is awake.

But what you haven't described is...putting the computer to sleep...then looking to see if you can still see something on the display in bright sunlight.

I seriously doubt if the computer is asleep...that something is still being displayed on the display (as the thread title suggests).

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I guess my post wasn't clear enough, I apologize.

You are correct, sleep has nothing to do with it. I'm not even sure why I said that. My brain no work good sometimes.

This doesn't have to do with the inverter or LCD backlight, as those are working fine. What I mean is when the laptop is left idle, the screen enters "display sleep" (aka shuts off) as per the settings set in Preferences->Energy Saver. But ever since the last update, the backlight will turn off as usual, but now the LCD panel itself is constantly on, which is evident in bright light. The LCD panel itself will never enter "display sleep". I thought this was a freak accident, but it has been consistently happening lately.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This doesn't have to do with the inverter or LCD backlight, as those are working fine. What I mean is when the laptop is left idle, the screen enters "display sleep" (aka shuts off) as per the settings set in Preferences->Energy Saver. But ever since the last update, the backlight will turn off as usual, but now the LCD panel itself is constantly on, which is evident in bright light. The LCD panel itself will never enter "display sleep". I thought this was a freak accident, but it has been consistently happening lately.

Ok...that's makes more sense now.:)

The way I usually have my laptops set up is...I have the screen saver kick-in after about 15 minutes of non-use...then I have the computer go to sleep at say 30 or 45 minutes of non-use.

I don't think that I ever have the display go into "display sleep" before the computer is set to sleep. I'll have to test things on my end.

Or maybe someone else in the meantime will have the answer!:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What I mean is when the laptop is left idle, the screen enters "display sleep" (aka shuts off) as per the settings set in Preferences->Energy Saver. But ever since the last update, the backlight will turn off as usual, but now the LCD panel itself is constantly on, which is evident in bright light.

Display sleep should shut both the backlight and video off at the same time. It seems your video is going strong but the backlight is turning off. Try doing a SMC reset to see if that resolves the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.