Weird text displaying. And it isn't a language problem.

Reaction score
I own a Macbook Pro, with Mac OS X 10.6.6.

On right clicking, instead of showing options like 'Clean up', there's text that contains characters and numbers (eg. N195E). And in my Finder sidebar, instead of displaying 'Places' etc, there's text like SD5, SD6 and SD7.

This is only extended to the Administrator, and I'm not facing this problem in other user accounts.

I re-installed OS X, checked all kinds of language settings, and yet nothing works. It's starting to get on my nerves >.<

Help me, please? :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unless you reinstalled Snow Leopard "clean" all you did was an archive and install which Snow Leopard does automatically. In other words, if your admin account is corrupt, you reinstalled the corruption. Try this first:

Create a new account for yourself and give it admin permissions. Log on to the new account and check to see if it's working OK. If it is, copy everything from your old admin account to the new one while logged on to the new account. Then verify once more if everything is working OK. If it is, remove the old account.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to reinstall clean. Post back and let us know.

OP
S
Reaction score
I created a new user account and made it the admin. I'm not facing that problem anymore (though the transferring of files is a bit of a pain).

Thank you! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.