Macbook Brightness Failing

Reaction score
Hey guys!
I've never used this forum before, but I thought I would take a chance:

Starting yesterday, the screen keeps randomly going black. Not totally....I can faintly see the outline of pages. Its as if it's between the last two points on the brightness scale.
The only way to being the screen up to brightness again is to shut my Macbook & the open it again.

A way I've found to reduce the problem is to keep the brightness at the lowest visible setting. When the brightness is up where it should be, the screen blacks out after about 30 seconds.

I have a Macbook running on 10.5.8 that I bought new in July 2009. My AppleCare expires this July, so if the problem can be fixed through them that would be fantastic.
However, I don't have much extra time to go to the Apple store.... I would love to fix this on my own.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Sounds like a setting problem, since a restart cures the problem

As a first step try a combo update, I know your system is up to date but a combo update can often get rid of gremlins

Mac OS X 10.5.8 Combo Update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Your backlight might be starting to go, or possibly a pinched cable for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.