Keyloggers/Internet monitoring systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
At work, I tend to plug in my laptop and share the regular internet connection with it. In my paranoia, I started wondering whether or not it was possible for someone to monitor my internet activity (IMs, e-mails sent, things like that), with the computer plugged in in this way.

Can anyone explain to me if/how that's possible, or how I can get around it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
It's very possible for them to monitor all traffic coming in and out of the office network. And with the appropriate tools in place, it may be very easy for them to track unauthorized equipment to the network jack, and from their, show up at your desk. Of course, this does depend on their being an adequate budget for IT Security and skilled enforcement people.

That being said, I'm going to suggest that your best bet is to read the employee handbook and the information security policy before you do anything. Keep in mind that in most companies, deliberately violating security policy, and more importantly, deliberately bypassing security mechanisms, is most likely a one-way ticket to the unemployment office.

That being said, I know how to do it and I'm not going to tell you ;-)
Google is your friend, but be aware of the consequences.

Good luck with that,
Perry M Lynch, CISSP CISA, Information Security Consultant

OP
H
Reaction score
With keyloggers, how would it work? Does the program, if it's originally installed on computer A, and then a shared network is set up on computer B, would the program then log everything that happened, keystroke-wise, or just programs used?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
It's very possible for them to monitor all traffic coming in and out of the office network. And with the appropriate tools in place, it may be very easy for them to track unauthorized equipment to the network jack, and from their, show up at your desk. Of course, this does depend on their being an adequate budget for IT Security and skilled enforcement people.

That being said, I'm going to suggest that your best bet is to read the employee handbook and the information security policy before you do anything. Keep in mind that in most companies, deliberately violating security policy, and more importantly, deliberately bypassing security mechanisms, is most likely a one-way ticket to the unemployment office.

That being said, I know how to do it and I'm not going to tell you ;-)
Google is your friend, but be aware of the consequences.

Good luck with that,
Perry M Lynch, CISSP CISA, Information Security Consultant
Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

With keyloggers, how would it work? Does the program, if it's originally installed on computer A, and then a shared network is set up on computer B, would the program then log everything that happened, keystroke-wise, or just programs used?
Don't worry about how they work, just don't do anything you're not supposed to do and you won't have anything to worry about.
Besides, nobody on this forum is going to assist you with bypassing your employer's security measures.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If your security person is monitoring the network traffic. There is nothing you can do, but abide by the company policies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.