iTunes Media Question

Reaction score
I have recently switched over from a Sony Vaio to a MacBook Pro. To transfer all of my music, I put it on my external, and then transferred from there to my new macbook. I have about 63 GB of music.

With Macs, I've noticed I can change the location of the song while it's playing and it will continue to play and I will not have to relocate it. I've also noticed that when I click Get Info on a song, it is not where I have transferred or downloaded it to. It is in an iTunes Media folder created by the Mac or iTunes.

So, if all my songs are in there, and where I download them to or transfer to, does that mean even tho I have 63GB of music, it's taking up 126GB of my computer because it's in two different places? Can I delete the ones that I transferred from the external to my Mac or the ones that I download since they automatically go into the iTunes Media folder?

Also, is there any program that lets you search your duplicates on your computer of files? I'm not talking about only iTunes, but duplicate files throughout the whole computer so that way I can see if these songs are counting as 2.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
iTunes default behavior will be to copy all music added to it to the Music folder in your User folder. So you should disconnect the external drive - verify that your songs are all still ok and then you can delete the ones on the external if you wish

If you want to store all your music on the external instead we can help you with that

OP
A
Reaction score
Ohh nooo, the issue isn't with the external. I'm keeping the songs on their. But it is not plugged in right now. But my same questions still stands. Do you get what I'm sayin?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.