Airport Keeps Dosconnecting

Reaction score
I've had no problems with my AirPort connection until after the last set of updates.

Running OS X 10.5.7 on an iMac (about 18 months old). Using a Linksys router connected to my cable modem.

I'll boot Safari 4 and discover my internet connection has gone down AGAIN.

I have to go to the AirPort icon on my taskbar and select my connection again, then it always reconnects OK.

Now that I think about it I always find my connection down after booting Safari 4. Could Safari 4 somehow be taking my connection down? Maybe I should use Firefox for awhile and see ...

Any other ideas?

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Try running off ethernet for a bit to see if that throws up any problems with Safari 4 or whatever. Laptop? at Home? Ok on some wifi not others? more info.

OP
A
Reaction score
Try running off ethernet for a bit to see if that throws up any problems with Safari 4 or whatever. Laptop? at Home? Ok on some wifi not others? more info.

As I stated in my original email, it's an iMac, not a laptop.

Ethernet is not an option unless I move my computer to another floor.

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Might be worth moving your iMac to another floor in the interests of troubleshooting. Another choice - anyone else on your floor that is operating happily - compare their setting with yours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD
I have noticed the same issue. I have to regularly go to the airport icon, disconnect and reconnect. Then it all works fine. Been happening more frequently recently.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What encryption is the wireless using - WEP? - have seen many posts where changing this to WPA has solved the issue. WPA is also much more secure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.