Connect timeout on WEP connection

Reaction score
Running: MacBook Pro 10.6.7 (also had this problem on 10.6.6 and updated hoping to fix it)

First off let me begin by saying, I know WEP encryption is terrible, it's not my decision. I'm the only one having a problem connecting and it just started this morning. When I got to work I turned on airport and it didn't automatically connect to my preferred network, I selected it, and put in the password. It spins for a while then says "Connection timeout" HOWEVER, if I try to connect with network connection while it's spinning it will say "connected to blah blah" and in the three seconds it's deciding I AM able to load web pages.

I've been looking around the internet and it seems that there are a lot of different ways people try to handle this, but I'm not certain we're having the same issues.

I've deactivated ethernet and reset the PRAM. I have no idea what else to do. Help? Because this is terrible, and means I have to use a windows desktop at work.

B

Reaction score
Do you have access to the Wifi source? Usually pressing the connect button on the wifi box does the trick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Open your Network System Preference, and under the Location pulldown, select Edit Locations. Create a new Location and apply. Click the gear icon at the bottom left of the Network pane and Set Service Order. Make sure Ethernet and Airport have a higher priority than Bluetooth and Firewire (if applicable). Apply again. Attempt to connect to WiFi again.

OP
H
Reaction score
I tried both suggestions and neither worked. Now it seems to be more than just a mac problem since my co-worker can't connect either, while running windows. It's probably something to do with the base, now that it's not just me I can plead to IT. Thanks for the assist. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.