How I became a Mac addict

Reaction score
I am a recent convert to Mac. I've always known that that Macs had many advantages over Windows driven PCs, but PCs were what I knew, so I stuck with them.

Last fall my son needed a new computer for school. He was a philosphy major at New College in Sarasota FL who was working on his thesis. His old HP desktop machine was weezing pretty badly and was exhibiting a not too healthy sounding death rattle. He had wanted a notebook so he could get out of the dorn a bit while working, and based on the advice of some Mac friends he had bought a 12' Power Book G4 with all the trimmings. He was very proud of his Mac and loved to chide me about it's superiority over my PC. After playing his Power Book a time or two I new my PC days were numbered.

On January 18th of this year my son was riding his bike back to his dorm when he was hit and killed by car. It's a parent's nightmare that one hopes never happens, but it did. His Power Book was in his back pack with him at the time, and when I retrieved his personal possessions from the police department I saw that the case was pretty well beat up. I had little hope that the computer would be functional. I was broken hearted as I really wanted it as momento. Much to my surprise, when I plugged in the power adapter the machine powered right up and worked flawlessly. I confess I found the damage to the case to be rather emotionaly disturbing as it reminded me of the tragedy. So it was taken to the Apple Store in Tampa in the hopes that it might be replaced. The good people at Applle said that the shell could indeed be replaced, although it would cost a bit over $600. That might seem steep, but to me it was worth every penny. After three weeks the Power Book was back in my possession, and working flawlessly. I am in fact writing this from the Power Book, which is "connected" to the net via an Apple Airport Express base station.

It took me about three days to realize that I hooked. After removing what documents and photos I had on the PC it was dismantled and placed in the closet. The Power Book was to be my main machine from then out. After two more weeks I decided that the PC was taking too much space up in the closet and gave it away. Sadly I still have to use an XP driven PC piece of junk at work, which is almost agonizing now.

Today I ordered a 20' iMac with a gig of ram from the online Apple Store. Like a kid a few days before Christmas I cannot wait until it arrives. I am completely and totally hooked on Macs. No more crashes, no more blue screens of death, no more 3ghz machine that runs like a Geo Metro in a swamp.

K

Kokopelli

I am truly sorry for your loss, it is not the way I would want anyone introduced to the Mac platform. I am glad that you have found a small positive out of the tragic events though and have a reminder of your son.

And welcome to the forums.

L

lil

Indeed, that is quite the chain of events, and though you probably don't want pity or someone else to feel sorry for you, I do feel for you in those tragic circumstances.

I am very glad however that you do have a momento of his to keep too, and I too am typing from the same model of PowerBook too.

I too have to use Windows at work, but I cheat, I can do it via my PowerBook using remote desktop—so I get the relief of being able to return to sanity by hiding the remote Windows screen!! :flower:

It is very true to say that the Mac definitely fits like a glove for some people and once they have used it, they never ever want to go back!

May you enjoy every moment with your Macs!

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
I am deeply sorry for your loss. This was a bad way to be givin a Mac. Although, now you have your son's Mac, and with that he will live on beeting inside your computer. He will always be there. A nice rememberance.

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
Please accept my deepest symapthies for your tragic loss.

Enjoy your Apple computer.

Reaction score
Like every one else, I am very very very sorry for your loss. Was the driver caught, if I may ask?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM
My brother was killed on Decmber 28, 2004 in Costa Rica in an ATV accident. I'm sorry this happened to you and I hope life get's easier than it is right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 1.83GHz, 1.5GB RAM
I just want to say one thing. The world needs more people like you in it. It's not everyday that you find someone who seems to want to make the best of every situation. It's great to see someone taking a horrifically tragic situation, and still being able to enjoy life for what it is, and the simple pleasures that can cover up the downside.

I tip my hat to you. Keep doing what you're doing, and hopefully it can influence others to realize that when life hits a rut, there's always another day.

Congratulations on your new purchase, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do my new MBP. :)

OP
roewert
Reaction score
thadoggfather said:
Like every one else, I am very very very sorry for your loss. Was the driver caught, if I may ask?

Yes, the driver was caught. Actually he remained at the scene. It's still unclear as to whether or not he was charged, but my ex-wife and I have jointly hired an attorney and will know what became of him soon enough.

Reaction score
roewert, I am so sorry for your loss. You have my deepest sympathies.

Please don't hesitate to visit this board if you have any Mac questions. It's an amazingly helpful place.

Brown Study

M

MJGUK

I'm really sorry to hear of your loss my friend, but also very glad that you've found out how great Macs can be!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
Good job for looking at the bright side of things when something so wrong was at hand. It's people like you that make mac fans not seem so 'mac cultish'

we really aren't a cult... people just pay attention to the obnoxious ones.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.