Switchers, what do you love most about your new Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
I've had my Macbook for about ten days now - I've got most things set up and the more I use it the more I love it. The most annoying thing to me is that after doing my freelance work at home on the Mac on evenings and weekends I have to spend the Monday to Friday 40 hour week using XP.

Anyway, I thought I'd share what I like most so far and thought other switchers could too.

I cannot believe how true Apple's "It Just Works" slogan is. I was faffing around for ages trying to get my zero latency soundcard working with Cubase LE on XP - I plugged it into my Mac and it "just worked"!

Expose it amazing - it's a healthy addiction - I cannot live without it.

OSX is a work of art. I'm a sucker for eye candy - I love all the nice transitions. When you go back to XP is just seems tacky.

Sorry Microsoft, but Windows Vista is too little, too late. I consider myself a very happy Mac convert. The sooner I transfer my freelance pipeline to my Macbook, the better.

Reaction score
I switched about 18 months ago and still get a kick out of using this machine 14+ hours a day.

Reaction score
I've had my 24' iMac for about a month now and I like that EVERYTHING WORKS.

Reaction score
The thing that stands out in my mind is that Mac thinks like I do (or is it the other way around?). I constantly clashed with Windows because it did not do the things I thought it should, but with OSX I just "feel comfortable." Only disappointment I have had is that my model (Quicksilver) doesn't have an inlet for a microphone! I was looking forward to using verbal commands to open apps, etc. Do not understand why in the world they would leave that out. Oh well, no one is perfect, I guess - other then that I love my mac.

Reaction score
I like Expose' and the dock. But there are many things I don't like and right now, they are outweighing the good parts.

EDIT: I changed my mind and saw the light. I love everything about it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
Expose is the thing that really got me considering going back to a Mac in the first place. I would do it now expect I'm on my PC, D'oh!

Apart from the usual, the real thing that I have loved about the Mac, the video codecs. Now I do a lot of video editing on my PC and I am always having problems when getting vid from one app to another and keeping it working right, even if I do I can not guarantee that the renderer will work properly.

When ever I do this on a Mac, I have NEVER had any problems with this, I love it!

My other fav feature is the in build spell checker, it's saved me on far to many occasions to recall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
Ease of use and iLife

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Only disappointment I have had is that my model (Quicksilver) doesn't have an inlet for a microphone! I was looking forward to using verbal commands to open apps, etc. Do not understand why in the world they would leave that out. Oh well, no one is perfect, I guess - other then that I love my mac.

You can use the iMic interface to connect a microphone to your system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I've had my MBP for about a week. Expose, dashboard and dock are great. I always use Alt-Tab on PC to switch between open apps and was glad that Apple has similar key command. I wish Safari had tab browsing. I haven't used it very much yet, so I can't comment too much more on the software.

Overall I really like the form-factor and the slot-loading drive (enough though it's fearfully violent-sounding!!) The feeling of the keyboard is slow getting used to; it's tough switching from the feel of the it and thea normal keyboard. I find the silver of the MBP a little boring, wich the screen opened back further and wish it had a fingerprint reader, which is standard on many Win PC's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I wish Safari had tab browsing. I haven't used it very much yet, so I can't comment too much more on the software.

Safari does have tabs. Goto the Preferences to turn it on.

Reaction score
the dock, the interface, the oddity of the OS was nice, how everything just works, and the style of the macbook case. apple makes a really great product i feel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD
Safari does have tabs. Goto the Preferences to turn it on.

Apple/command+T... and there you go. Now mac's are the best again!!

I'm a dork, I love Front Row, the sweet animations and interface rule. Head and shoulders over that other OS, whats it called?

Automater rocks out. How cool is that. I need my box to do something for me I simply teach it how to do my work for me.

The dock, everyone that touches my macbook freaks on the smoothness of tiger. frankly it makes the other OS look tired and lifeless.

I've been working on OSX for all of a month and feel prolific and confident with a lot of the system. So that tells me its very intuitive and easy to learn.
I love this machine!!!:headphone

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
switched a couple months ago to my macbook.
been a semi-power user for some time and am in wintel server support at work.

i like the 'solidity' and design of the OS and file layout (not the actual file system, but how finder organizes things). i love how applications live, for the most part in ONE place as packages, rather than spread like a disease all over your hard drive.
i also like how i can either hunker down with a lapdesk, attached external hard drive and really get serious work done, or i can remove it from all tethers and litterally lay it comfortably on my lap for casual web browsing - something tricker on either of my old HP notebooks with a multitude of fans and grates on them.

other stuff i like...
- mag safe - nice!
- slot load disc
- large touchpad with two-finger scrollinganywhere on it
- battery tricks - the button and lights for battery status are really slick

some stuff i think windows does better or i've just seen executed better on other machines...
- renaming files - why can't i just highlight a few files in osx and rename them all in sequence by renaming the first? this seems like a great place for apple to make some headway since windows/explorer has only one, somewhat ugly way that you can number files (file, file (1), file (2)) - but at least you can do it without resorting to other programs besides explorer.
- desktop customization - windows has lots more options by default with size and color for lots of items.
- micro management - there are some things, lots of them actually, that are easier to turn on and off (such as viewing hidden files, or different visual enhancements)
- topside indicators for side mounted ports on a laptop (both my home HP laptops and my HP and compaq work laptops had these). it does annoy me a bit when i need to feel my way around the left side of my macbook or actually have to go look when connecting my headphones.

that's all i can really think of for now... :p

R

ravenloft

I finally switched b/c I was tired of getting various "infections" on my pc. I finally got one too many, and got a mac.

in a word, iloveit. ok. that's actually 3 words. I've been using my G4 with 10.4 for about a year, and it doesn't slow down like a pc seems to. It runs just as well today as it did when I first got it. Very smooth.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
I'm a dork, I love Front Row, the sweet animations and interface rule. Head and shoulders over that other OS, whats it called?

We have a lot in common. :D

Regarding Safari, I thought there was no tabbed browsing either - it's just it's not turned on by default (which is silly if you ask me).

I was a die hard Firefox and Thunderbird user on Windows and Linux but now I'm a Mail / Safari fan. I love the way the applications that come with OSX are actually worth using.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White - 2.0GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HD
I love the way the applications that come with OSX are actually worth using.

That is my favorite. I still havent downloaded any Third Party software on my MacBook. I love Safari, Mail, Address Book, and iCal. They are LIFESAVERS!

-davis
:mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White - 2.0GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HD
Actually, my favorite is the Dock. I love it.

-davis
:mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.