USB Port expansion

U

UNIFizadums

The short backstory is I acquired a G4 computer, with no system installed. So far what I can tell is everything is functioning, so far as the HD, RAM, CD drive, Zip drive. However, I can not boot from a CD to install a system as any keyboard I try to plug in (USB). This leads me to believe that the USB port is damaged, I was wondering since I have expansion slots open would I be able to get a PCI-USB slot card without needing to install any drivers? Just wondering if this would work at all. Otherwise any suggestions as to what I might try to get around the USB port problem I have would be appreciated. (The USB ports do show some power getting through... a mouse plugged in will light up, and I've gotten the keyboard to semi-function once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 933 quicksilver (2001) 1.5 gb ram, 300 gig hd. Macbok 2.0 duocore2 1 gb ram 13 inch white 120hd
just about any usb pci card will work in the mac... ummm the cd ur trying to boot up is it a dvd or a cd. cause that makes a big differance.. i tryed installing osx10.3.9 and found out it was a dvd not a cd so it wouldnt boot. i ended up usin a universal cd osx 10.4 cd and it booted w out any problems... keyboard hmmmm good luck. but yea when u put in the pci ur goin to have to run the cd that comes with it to install it.... hope any of this helps.

OP
U

UNIFizadums

Its a CD, its os 8.5. There is no system on the computer though and most USB PCI cards say they need a certain system to operate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
For what it is worth, I find that my USB keyboard is frequently quite dead after a boot. All I have to do to restore it to life is to unplug it, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in. Perhaps you might try the same thing after you have powered up, to see if you can get it back to a functioning state. By the way, is it an Apple keyboard? Non Apple keyboards may be a problem with your particular computer?

Reaction score
On some Macs I had to use the following key combination to get the Mac to boot from the CD: CMD(apple key)-OPT-SHIFT-DELETE

OP
U

UNIFizadums

It is an apple keyboard, and I have tried the unplug thing... I got something to work once, then i got stupid and lost the progress. Another question would be, could I perhaps load a system from the zip drive (internal)? I know on my old mac Performa we could load from a disk utility floppy disk... didn't know if this zip drive might possibly work the same way.

OP
U

UNIFizadums

According to that, I believe it is not. Perhaps I can try our OS 9 or something from home now I guess. Thanks for that listing!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.